Two taken to hospital after house fire
TWO people fled a house fire in Abingdon last night.
Firefighters were called to Northcourt Walk, Abingdon, at 8.34pm.
Crews saw smoke coming from an open window on the first floor of the house.
They entered the house using breathing apparatus and extinguished the fire, which had started in the back bedroom.
The house, which was not fitted with smoke alarms, had suffered heavy smoke damage.
Two people inside were able to flee the property after discovering the fire. Both were taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
Watch Manager Lee Swain said: “Fortunately on this occasion the occupants were awake and were able to escape, however the outcome could have been much worse if the fire had started after they had gone to bed.
"This highlights the importance of having working smoke alarms fitted to their properties and to test them on a weekly basis.”