Oxford Stadium supporters race to stop housing plans

The Oxford Times: Greyhounds in action at Oxford Stadium Greyhounds in action at Oxford Stadium

CAMPAIGNERS have vowed to fight for the future of Oxford Stadium and have called on councillors to halt moves to build homes there.

Supporters of the greyhound track have launched a petition and plan to lobby the city council to stop the site’s redevelopment. They have accepted they won’t be able to stop the impending closure of the stadium, announced last week, but say they want to secure its future as a city sports venue.

Save our Stadium campaign chairman Ian Sawyer grew up in nearby Blackbird Leys and has been a supporter of speedway racing for years.

The Oxford Cheetahs speedway team, which also used to use the stadium, folded in 2007.

Mr Sawyer said his reaction to the news that the stadium would close on December 29 was one of “devastation”.

He said: “It’s a great facility for Oxford, and to hear they’re going to take it away, just like that, was soul-destroying.

“We want to keep the facility in Oxford. There’s nothing like it anywhere else in the city.”

The group plans to gather signatures and urge residents and supporters to oppose Galliard Homes’s plan to build 225 homes on the site.

Speedway fan and member of the campaign Robert Peasley said: “We’ll try to get as many signatures as we can, but we are also urging people to contact their city councillor, because it’s the city council which will make a decision.

“We know we can’t stop them closing the stadium, but we want the council to tell owners in no uncertain terms there won’t be housing on this site.”

Fellow speedway fan and group member Gavin Beckley added: “We want to put pressure on the council not to grant planning permission.”

He also claimed the stadium’s contract to stage BAGS greyhound meetings would not have been withdrawn if housing plans had not been put on the table. He said: “I believe they lost the contract because there was so much doubt over the future of the stadium, so it’s a vicious circle.”

Oxford East MP Andrew Smith has also joined the campaign. He said: “I’m sure there will be big public backing for Save our Stadium. People aren’t going to give up the stadium without a huge fight.

“They are outraged at the closure announcement which seems part of a deliberate strategy of running the stadium down to try to force redevelopment plans through.”

Plans to build 225 homes on the Sandy Lane site were announced by Galliard Homes and its planning agent Savills earlier this year.

Last month, it was announced the stadium had lost the contract for its popular Friday BAGS meetings, a loss which has been blamed for the closure of the stadium.

Comments (34)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:31pm Thu 29 Nov 12

picto68 says...

How can someone outside the city support the Campaign?
How can someone outside the city support the Campaign? picto68

7:38pm Thu 29 Nov 12

Dilligaf2010 says...

Urm, much needed housing, or dogs & bikes going round and round an oval circuit?
Bit of a no-brainer really
Urm, much needed housing, or dogs & bikes going round and round an oval circuit? Bit of a no-brainer really Dilligaf2010

8:27pm Thu 29 Nov 12

Bartsimpson_uk says...

So according to your logic Dilligaf, we should build over all leisure places. Goodbye to Kassam Staduim, and bowlplex, goodbye to all the swimming pools, actually goodbye to everything that gives us entertainment . Doh
So according to your logic Dilligaf, we should build over all leisure places. Goodbye to Kassam Staduim, and bowlplex, goodbye to all the swimming pools, actually goodbye to everything that gives us entertainment . Doh Bartsimpson_uk

8:47pm Thu 29 Nov 12

Dilligaf2010 says...

Bartsimpson_uk wrote:
So according to your logic Dilligaf, we should build over all leisure places. Goodbye to Kassam Staduim, and bowlplex, goodbye to all the swimming pools, actually goodbye to everything that gives us entertainment . Doh
Not at all, dog racing & speedway don't exactly attract huge crowds, and I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find another location for a stadium, where as housing is generally built where it's most needed.
I didn't mention any of the other places you mentioned, you just decided to try to make a mountain out of a molehill
[quote][p][bold]Bartsimpson_uk[/bold] wrote: So according to your logic Dilligaf, we should build over all leisure places. Goodbye to Kassam Staduim, and bowlplex, goodbye to all the swimming pools, actually goodbye to everything that gives us entertainment . Doh[/p][/quote]Not at all, dog racing & speedway don't exactly attract huge crowds, and I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find another location for a stadium, where as housing is generally built where it's most needed. I didn't mention any of the other places you mentioned, you just decided to try to make a mountain out of a molehill Dilligaf2010

10:23pm Thu 29 Nov 12

xjohnx says...

Dilligaf2010 wrote:
Urm, much needed housing, or dogs & bikes going round and round an oval circuit?
Bit of a no-brainer really
Hear! hear!
[quote][p][bold]Dilligaf2010[/bold] wrote: Urm, much needed housing, or dogs & bikes going round and round an oval circuit? Bit of a no-brainer really[/p][/quote]Hear! hear! xjohnx

10:31pm Thu 29 Nov 12

Bartsimpson_uk says...

Dog and speedway racing attracts more support than Oxford City football, so according to you we should build there as well. How much support does a sport need to attract to stop it being closed then?? Where is your logic in knocking the stadium down and rebuilding it elsewhere?? Why not just build the houses at the new location????
Dog and speedway racing attracts more support than Oxford City football, so according to you we should build there as well. How much support does a sport need to attract to stop it being closed then?? Where is your logic in knocking the stadium down and rebuilding it elsewhere?? Why not just build the houses at the new location???? Bartsimpson_uk

11:20pm Thu 29 Nov 12

Miss Cynical says...

I only went to the stadium once - through a bargain Groupon deal - and it was virtually empty. If the stadium really were such a 'hot ticket' for people living in Oxford, I very much doubt the owners would be considering its sale. Clearly, it isn't making all that much money and the people in charge have decided to put the land to better use. Fair enough. This is a site absolutely surrounded by other housing - it's hardly green belt!! I am a first time buyer looking to get on the property ladder. There is hardly anywhere affordable available in Oxford! There is a desperate need for housing below the £200k mark and perhaps this just might offer a solution to local people. Agree it's really important to keep sporting facilities, but I don't think greyhound racing - which advocates drinking pints, eating burgers and watching dogs do exercise - will really help us tackle rising obesity. Unlike football - practised at the Kassam.
I only went to the stadium once - through a bargain Groupon deal - and it was virtually empty. If the stadium really were such a 'hot ticket' for people living in Oxford, I very much doubt the owners would be considering its sale. Clearly, it isn't making all that much money and the people in charge have decided to put the land to better use. Fair enough. This is a site absolutely surrounded by other housing - it's hardly green belt!! I am a first time buyer looking to get on the property ladder. There is hardly anywhere affordable available in Oxford! There is a desperate need for housing below the £200k mark and perhaps this just might offer a solution to local people. Agree it's really important to keep sporting facilities, but I don't think greyhound racing - which advocates drinking pints, eating burgers and watching dogs do exercise - will really help us tackle rising obesity. Unlike football - practised at the Kassam. Miss Cynical

11:50pm Thu 29 Nov 12

Bartsimpson_uk says...

Yep, going somewhere once really puts you in a position to give an accurate view! I went to the Kassam once and it was less than a quarter full. Better build housing on it.
Yep, going somewhere once really puts you in a position to give an accurate view! I went to the Kassam once and it was less than a quarter full. Better build housing on it. Bartsimpson_uk

12:14am Fri 30 Nov 12

gymrat34 says...

Dilligaf2010 wrote:
Urm, much needed housing, or dogs & bikes going round and round an oval circuit?
Bit of a no-brainer really
The story is about people being opposed to more homes, not that the stadium will be closed.
The residents would like another leisure centre or something for residents to do instead of more homes.
Besides, we wouldn't need so much housing if the council would stop giving three bed homes to a single mum with one kid etc...
[quote][p][bold]Dilligaf2010[/bold] wrote: Urm, much needed housing, or dogs & bikes going round and round an oval circuit? Bit of a no-brainer really[/p][/quote]The story is about people being opposed to more homes, not that the stadium will be closed. The residents would like another leisure centre or something for residents to do instead of more homes. Besides, we wouldn't need so much housing if the council would stop giving three bed homes to a single mum with one kid etc... gymrat34

1:10am Fri 30 Nov 12

Miss Cynical says...

Yeah, I didn't go back to the stadium - and nor did thousands of other people - because unfortunately, it isn't what they want! Too late being sentimental about it now. More people should have attended.

I really don't understand residents' preference of 'having something to do'. Jeez, they're five minutes from Kassam, and 10 minutes from Oxford. If you can't find something to do there, I think you have a problem. It's all very well saying residents would 'like' a leisure centre. I would 'like' the chance to own my own home. The difference is we already have several leisure centres nearby. What we don't have is enough places for honest, working people to live. And as a person who has worked my backside off to afford a first home, why shouldn't I be able to buy one?

Yes, these developers are in it to make vast sums of money. They're not there to provide additional recreational opportunities for the residents of Blackbird Lees as a charitable gesture!

I'm afraid this is just Nimbyism.
Yeah, I didn't go back to the stadium - and nor did thousands of other people - because unfortunately, it isn't what they want! Too late being sentimental about it now. More people should have attended. I really don't understand residents' preference of 'having something to do'. Jeez, they're five minutes from Kassam, and 10 minutes from Oxford. If you can't find something to do there, I think you have a problem. It's all very well saying residents would 'like' a leisure centre. I would 'like' the chance to own my own home. The difference is we already have several leisure centres nearby. What we don't have is enough places for honest, working people to live. And as a person who has worked my backside off to afford a first home, why shouldn't I be able to buy one? Yes, these developers are in it to make vast sums of money. They're not there to provide additional recreational opportunities for the residents of Blackbird Lees as a charitable gesture! I'm afraid this is just Nimbyism. Miss Cynical

1:26am Fri 30 Nov 12

Dilligaf2010 says...

Bartsimpson_uk wrote:
Dog and speedway racing attracts more support than Oxford City football, so according to you we should build there as well. How much support does a sport need to attract to stop it being closed then?? Where is your logic in knocking the stadium down and rebuilding it elsewhere?? Why not just build the houses at the new location????
I'm all for building on football pitches, hate the sport personally.
If your facts are correct, why isn't the Kassam Stadium up for sale?
A dog & speedway track can be built almost anywhere, but not houses, houses need infrastructure & amenities, dog tracks don't.
[quote][p][bold]Bartsimpson_uk[/bold] wrote: Dog and speedway racing attracts more support than Oxford City football, so according to you we should build there as well. How much support does a sport need to attract to stop it being closed then?? Where is your logic in knocking the stadium down and rebuilding it elsewhere?? Why not just build the houses at the new location????[/p][/quote]I'm all for building on football pitches, hate the sport personally. If your facts are correct, why isn't the Kassam Stadium up for sale? A dog & speedway track can be built almost anywhere, but not houses, houses need infrastructure & amenities, dog tracks don't. Dilligaf2010

1:30am Fri 30 Nov 12

Dilligaf2010 says...

gymrat34 wrote:
Dilligaf2010 wrote:
Urm, much needed housing, or dogs & bikes going round and round an oval circuit?
Bit of a no-brainer really
The story is about people being opposed to more homes, not that the stadium will be closed.
The residents would like another leisure centre or something for residents to do instead of more homes.
Besides, we wouldn't need so much housing if the council would stop giving three bed homes to a single mum with one kid etc...
It's not as if they're miles away from leisure facilities, or other amenities.
Developers won't build facilities if they don't think there will be the footfall to make them worthwhile.
[quote][p][bold]gymrat34[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dilligaf2010[/bold] wrote: Urm, much needed housing, or dogs & bikes going round and round an oval circuit? Bit of a no-brainer really[/p][/quote]The story is about people being opposed to more homes, not that the stadium will be closed. The residents would like another leisure centre or something for residents to do instead of more homes. Besides, we wouldn't need so much housing if the council would stop giving three bed homes to a single mum with one kid etc...[/p][/quote]It's not as if they're miles away from leisure facilities, or other amenities. Developers won't build facilities if they don't think there will be the footfall to make them worthwhile. Dilligaf2010

6:37am Fri 30 Nov 12

McDave says...

Build the swimming pool there. Or have I just open another can of worms?...
Build the swimming pool there. Or have I just open another can of worms?... McDave

8:44am Fri 30 Nov 12

Bartsimpson_uk says...

Can't build it there, it's still on Blackbird Leys, and remember apparently its to difficult for people to get there!
Can't build it there, it's still on Blackbird Leys, and remember apparently its to difficult for people to get there! Bartsimpson_uk

10:48am Fri 30 Nov 12

Bartsimpson_uk says...

The reason less people are attending is because it has been deliberately run down so they can sell it.
The reason less people are attending is because it has been deliberately run down so they can sell it. Bartsimpson_uk

1:14pm Fri 30 Nov 12

gymrat34 says...

Bartsimpson_uk wrote:
The reason less people are attending is because it has been deliberately run down so they can sell it.
Just like Temple Cowley Pools then.
[quote][p][bold]Bartsimpson_uk[/bold] wrote: The reason less people are attending is because it has been deliberately run down so they can sell it.[/p][/quote]Just like Temple Cowley Pools then. gymrat34

2:26pm Fri 30 Nov 12

sparky123456 says...

Miss Cynical wrote:
I only went to the stadium once - through a bargain Groupon deal - and it was virtually empty. If the stadium really were such a 'hot ticket' for people living in Oxford, I very much doubt the owners would be considering its sale. Clearly, it isn't making all that much money and the people in charge have decided to put the land to better use. Fair enough. This is a site absolutely surrounded by other housing - it's hardly green belt!! I am a first time buyer looking to get on the property ladder. There is hardly anywhere affordable available in Oxford! There is a desperate need for housing below the £200k mark and perhaps this just might offer a solution to local people. Agree it's really important to keep sporting facilities, but I don't think greyhound racing - which advocates drinking pints, eating burgers and watching dogs do exercise - will really help us tackle rising obesity. Unlike football - practised at the Kassam.
I have to rip you on this. Firstly I have literally just done a search on right move for properties within Oxford (OX1 - OX5) and I have 21 pages of results for houses for sale UNDER £200k. That is 168 properties for sale. What you are actually saying is you think you're too good for Barton/Rose Hill/Littlemore/BBLe
ys etc and really what they should do is rip stuff down closer to town so you can live there.
Now as for you ignorant comment about football.... So football at the kassam tackles obesity?? A sport dominated by sponsorship from Casinos, alcohol brands, fast food brands etc etc. Where all spectators stuff pasties in their mouths, beer down their necks. Where since the 1970s has been associated with nothing but violence and racism. Where as little as days ago Lazio neo nazi fans clashed with Spurs fans and seriously injured innocent people between the ages of 18-60?!
But family fun like the dog track is bad and makes people fat? I've been 5 times, all on socials and every time it was packed. I've also used the go kart track there. It's the only go karting track for about 30 miles. England happens to produce some of the greatest motorsport talent in the world. Oxfordshire is one of the leading centres for R&D and employment in that industry. How do we get young people off the streets and interested in a sport if we close all their facilities?
And finally when this leisure facility has been knocked and 250 houses built (lets assume they're 3 bed average) what do the 1000 or so new residents to the area do? Where do the 250 or so cars park? what will be the additional strain on the road network at the junction for Tesco/Cowley? Where will these new residents work...
Do you actually associate boredom with the rise in crime? Do people not learn? (see BBLeys and it's epic problem with car crime in the 80s and 90s)
[quote][p][bold]Miss Cynical[/bold] wrote: I only went to the stadium once - through a bargain Groupon deal - and it was virtually empty. If the stadium really were such a 'hot ticket' for people living in Oxford, I very much doubt the owners would be considering its sale. Clearly, it isn't making all that much money and the people in charge have decided to put the land to better use. Fair enough. This is a site absolutely surrounded by other housing - it's hardly green belt!! I am a first time buyer looking to get on the property ladder. There is hardly anywhere affordable available in Oxford! There is a desperate need for housing below the £200k mark and perhaps this just might offer a solution to local people. Agree it's really important to keep sporting facilities, but I don't think greyhound racing - which advocates drinking pints, eating burgers and watching dogs do exercise - will really help us tackle rising obesity. Unlike football - practised at the Kassam.[/p][/quote]I have to rip you on this. Firstly I have literally just done a search on right move for properties within Oxford (OX1 - OX5) and I have 21 pages of results for houses for sale UNDER £200k. That is 168 properties for sale. What you are actually saying is you think you're too good for Barton/Rose Hill/Littlemore/BBLe ys etc and really what they should do is rip stuff down closer to town so you can live there. Now as for you ignorant comment about football.... So football at the kassam tackles obesity?? A sport dominated by sponsorship from Casinos, alcohol brands, fast food brands etc etc. Where all spectators stuff pasties in their mouths, beer down their necks. Where since the 1970s has been associated with nothing but violence and racism. Where as little as days ago Lazio neo nazi fans clashed with Spurs fans and seriously injured innocent people between the ages of 18-60?! But family fun like the dog track is bad and makes people fat? I've been 5 times, all on socials and every time it was packed. I've also used the go kart track there. It's the only go karting track for about 30 miles. England happens to produce some of the greatest motorsport talent in the world. Oxfordshire is one of the leading centres for R&D and employment in that industry. How do we get young people off the streets and interested in a sport if we close all their facilities? And finally when this leisure facility has been knocked and 250 houses built (lets assume they're 3 bed average) what do the 1000 or so new residents to the area do? Where do the 250 or so cars park? what will be the additional strain on the road network at the junction for Tesco/Cowley? Where will these new residents work... Do you actually associate boredom with the rise in crime? Do people not learn? (see BBLeys and it's epic problem with car crime in the 80s and 90s) sparky123456

2:43pm Fri 30 Nov 12

Dilligaf2010 says...

@sparky123456
"Do you actually associate boredom with the rise in crime?
Do people not learn?"
Urm, no. Boredom has nothing to do with a rise in crime, that's purely down to drugs, alcohol, greed, bad parenting, and a lack of respect for others.
Kids today are better off than ever, games consoles, computers, mobile phones, etc., I could go on.
Closest I got to a mobile phone as a kid, was 2 tin cans and a bit of string, people could leave their front doors unlocked for days on end, without incident.
It's the youth of today that have to learn, nothing in life is free.
@sparky123456 "Do you actually associate boredom with the rise in crime? Do people not learn?" Urm, no. Boredom has nothing to do with a rise in crime, that's purely down to drugs, alcohol, greed, bad parenting, and a lack of respect for others. Kids today are better off than ever, games consoles, computers, mobile phones, etc., I could go on. Closest I got to a mobile phone as a kid, was 2 tin cans and a bit of string, people could leave their front doors unlocked for days on end, without incident. It's the youth of today that have to learn, nothing in life is free. Dilligaf2010

6:01pm Fri 30 Nov 12

Andrew:Oxford says...

Bartsimpson_uk wrote:
Can't build it there, it's still on Blackbird Leys, and remember apparently its to difficult for people to get there!
I'm not sure that you are correct there. The track was there long before Blackbird Leys was built and as far as I'm aware is part of Cowley.

I posted this about a week ago, but here it is again for info...

http://www.cowleyhis

tory.org.uk/assets/i

mages/db_images/db_A

irfield_3-11.jpg

(With acknowledgement to the Cowley Local History Society.)
[quote][p][bold]Bartsimpson_uk[/bold] wrote: Can't build it there, it's still on Blackbird Leys, and remember apparently its to difficult for people to get there![/p][/quote]I'm not sure that you are correct there. The track was there long before Blackbird Leys was built and as far as I'm aware is part of Cowley. I posted this about a week ago, but here it is again for info... http://www.cowleyhis tory.org.uk/assets/i mages/db_images/db_A irfield_3-11.jpg (With acknowledgement to the Cowley Local History Society.) Andrew:Oxford

6:03pm Fri 30 Nov 12

Andrew:Oxford says...

Isn't it the Rugby that brings in the biggest crowds to the Kassam these days?
Isn't it the Rugby that brings in the biggest crowds to the Kassam these days? Andrew:Oxford

11:18pm Fri 30 Nov 12

Miss Cynical says...

Hi Sparky,

Er, RE: the comment about me being too good to live in Littlemore.... I will give you one guess where I currently live....

Criticise all you want - the fact is there is a desperate housing shortage in Oxford that urgently needs to be addressed. This is outlined in Oxford City Council's housing strategy.

These houses have to go somewhere and a brownfield site surrounded by other housing seems a sensible choice.

RE: your comment about being bored - seriously, we all get bored some times but the vast majority don't feel the need to resort to crime. In my parents' age there were half the 'opportunities' available now and a fraction of the social problems.

People need to take responsibility for their own lives and behaviour - not expect the owners of a dog track to come and sort it out for them.
Hi Sparky, Er, RE: the comment about me being too good to live in Littlemore.... I will give you one guess where I currently live.... Criticise all you want - the fact is there is a desperate housing shortage in Oxford that urgently needs to be addressed. This is outlined in Oxford City Council's housing strategy. These houses have to go somewhere and a brownfield site surrounded by other housing seems a sensible choice. RE: your comment about being bored - seriously, we all get bored some times but the vast majority don't feel the need to resort to crime. In my parents' age there were half the 'opportunities' available now and a fraction of the social problems. People need to take responsibility for their own lives and behaviour - not expect the owners of a dog track to come and sort it out for them. Miss Cynical

11:56pm Fri 30 Nov 12

Pavinder Msvarensy says...

Miss Cynical. Firstly there is a desperate shortage of housing in Oxford for people that cannot afford £50k let alone £200k so unless they are going to give the houses away then this development will not help minimum wage earning families. Secondly your comment about the lack of trade at The Stadium is well off the mark, and indicative of somebody making up facts to suit their argument. And finally, The Stadium is unique for at least a 30 mile diameter and is well patronised from people living in that area, it will not be replaced and will be lost forever. There is interest from other parties to buy and run The Stadium, and indeed increasing it's use by bringing back Speedway as well, but as we saw when Morrells was sold off, the prime sites (pubs) were kept, run down, closed, and then turned into housing for a massive profit, and cash in the pockets of the owners. If the council refuse planning permission, then the value of the land (I.E. The Stadium) will be the going rate and the new owners would step in and everybody would benefit from a company that WANTS to run The Stadium for the customers. All concerned patrons should contact Andrew Smith, and ask him to support you in pressing for refusal of planning permission, and if possible to gain support for the potential buyers of The Stadium. WITHOUT PLANNING PERMISSION THE LAND THE STADIUM SITS ON IS WORTH WHAT OTHERS WILL PAY TO KEEP IT AS IT IS, WITH PLANNING PERMISSION, IT IS WELL ABOVE WHAT THEY CAN PAY. This is plain and simple property speculation to line the pockets of the current owners, and nothing to do with helping the housing situation in Oxford, as it is plain that it will do nothing help that. Once The Stadium is gone, then Speedway, The Dogs, and Go-Karting will be gone from one of England's oldest tracks forever, can we allow our Council to do this, when the only benefit is to big business?
Miss Cynical. Firstly there is a desperate shortage of housing in Oxford for people that cannot afford £50k let alone £200k so unless they are going to give the houses away then this development will not help minimum wage earning families. Secondly your comment about the lack of trade at The Stadium is well off the mark, and indicative of somebody making up facts to suit their argument. And finally, The Stadium is unique for at least a 30 mile diameter and is well patronised from people living in that area, it will not be replaced and will be lost forever. There is interest from other parties to buy and run The Stadium, and indeed increasing it's use by bringing back Speedway as well, but as we saw when Morrells was sold off, the prime sites (pubs) were kept, run down, closed, and then turned into housing for a massive profit, and cash in the pockets of the owners. If the council refuse planning permission, then the value of the land (I.E. The Stadium) will be the going rate and the new owners would step in and everybody would benefit from a company that WANTS to run The Stadium for the customers. All concerned patrons should contact Andrew Smith, and ask him to support you in pressing for refusal of planning permission, and if possible to gain support for the potential buyers of The Stadium. WITHOUT PLANNING PERMISSION THE LAND THE STADIUM SITS ON IS WORTH WHAT OTHERS WILL PAY TO KEEP IT AS IT IS, WITH PLANNING PERMISSION, IT IS WELL ABOVE WHAT THEY CAN PAY. This is plain and simple property speculation to line the pockets of the current owners, and nothing to do with helping the housing situation in Oxford, as it is plain that it will do nothing help that. Once The Stadium is gone, then Speedway, The Dogs, and Go-Karting will be gone from one of England's oldest tracks forever, can we allow our Council to do this, when the only benefit is to big business? Pavinder Msvarensy

5:25pm Mon 3 Dec 12

fredford says...

Knock a facility down and build houses on it,fair enough BUT please please dont come out with all the bull about desperately needed housing.....plans to alleviate the housing shortage were thrown out not long ago,4000+ houses were going to be built as an extension to greater leys but because a few Nimbys from Garsington didnt want the great unwashed to get too close to them hollered from the rooftops the plan was thrown out...the stadium has been deliberately run down and the plan all along was to sell for housing to maximise profit .
Knock a facility down and build houses on it,fair enough BUT please please dont come out with all the bull about desperately needed housing.....plans to alleviate the housing shortage were thrown out not long ago,4000+ houses were going to be built as an extension to greater leys but because a few Nimbys from Garsington didnt want the great unwashed to get too close to them hollered from the rooftops the plan was thrown out...the stadium has been deliberately run down and the plan all along was to sell for housing to maximise profit . fredford

5:29pm Mon 3 Dec 12

fredford says...

Dilligaf2010 wrote:
GRB wrote:
Dilligaf2010: You're clearly a prize w***er!
Actually, I've not won that many prizes. But I have got an IQ of 145, considerably higher than yours, if all you can contribute is an attempted insult.
When you've finished school later, perhaps you'd like to try and contribute something more worthwhile?
Ahhhhh the old " look at my high IQ, aint i a clever boy???? " bet you filled in one of those IQ test ripoffs on the net and got that figure from there. ha ha ha
[quote][p][bold]Dilligaf2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GRB[/bold] wrote: Dilligaf2010: You're clearly a prize w***er![/p][/quote]Actually, I've not won that many prizes. But I have got an IQ of 145, considerably higher than yours, if all you can contribute is an attempted insult. When you've finished school later, perhaps you'd like to try and contribute something more worthwhile?[/p][/quote]Ahhhhh the old " look at my high IQ, aint i a clever boy???? " bet you filled in one of those IQ test ripoffs on the net and got that figure from there. ha ha ha fredford

5:36pm Mon 3 Dec 12

fredford says...

Miss Cynical wrote:
I only went to the stadium once - through a bargain Groupon deal - and it was virtually empty. If the stadium really were such a 'hot ticket' for people living in Oxford, I very much doubt the owners would be considering its sale. Clearly, it isn't making all that much money and the people in charge have decided to put the land to better use. Fair enough. This is a site absolutely surrounded by other housing - it's hardly green belt!! I am a first time buyer looking to get on the property ladder. There is hardly anywhere affordable available in Oxford! There is a desperate need for housing below the £200k mark and perhaps this just might offer a solution to local people. Agree it's really important to keep sporting facilities, but I don't think greyhound racing - which advocates drinking pints, eating burgers and watching dogs do exercise - will really help us tackle rising obesity. Unlike football - practised at the Kassam.
Think you may be dissapointed if the plans go ahead and you see the prices of the new houses;)
by the way i,ll let you into a little secret........The Kassam stadium is for WATCHING football NOT playing......along with stuffing burgers washed down with a beer or 2...unless of course you are lucky and actually PLAY for OUFC.
[quote][p][bold]Miss Cynical[/bold] wrote: I only went to the stadium once - through a bargain Groupon deal - and it was virtually empty. If the stadium really were such a 'hot ticket' for people living in Oxford, I very much doubt the owners would be considering its sale. Clearly, it isn't making all that much money and the people in charge have decided to put the land to better use. Fair enough. This is a site absolutely surrounded by other housing - it's hardly green belt!! I am a first time buyer looking to get on the property ladder. There is hardly anywhere affordable available in Oxford! There is a desperate need for housing below the £200k mark and perhaps this just might offer a solution to local people. Agree it's really important to keep sporting facilities, but I don't think greyhound racing - which advocates drinking pints, eating burgers and watching dogs do exercise - will really help us tackle rising obesity. Unlike football - practised at the Kassam.[/p][/quote]Think you may be dissapointed if the plans go ahead and you see the prices of the new houses;) by the way i,ll let you into a little secret........The Kassam stadium is for WATCHING football NOT playing......along with stuffing burgers washed down with a beer or 2...unless of course you are lucky and actually PLAY for OUFC. fredford

7:05am Tue 4 Dec 12

Andrew:Oxford says...

fredford wrote:
Miss Cynical wrote:
I only went to the stadium once - through a bargain Groupon deal - and it was virtually empty. If the stadium really were such a 'hot ticket' for people living in Oxford, I very much doubt the owners would be considering its sale. Clearly, it isn't making all that much money and the people in charge have decided to put the land to better use. Fair enough. This is a site absolutely surrounded by other housing - it's hardly green belt!! I am a first time buyer looking to get on the property ladder. There is hardly anywhere affordable available in Oxford! There is a desperate need for housing below the £200k mark and perhaps this just might offer a solution to local people. Agree it's really important to keep sporting facilities, but I don't think greyhound racing - which advocates drinking pints, eating burgers and watching dogs do exercise - will really help us tackle rising obesity. Unlike football - practised at the Kassam.
Think you may be dissapointed if the plans go ahead and you see the prices of the new houses;)
by the way i,ll let you into a little secret........The Kassam stadium is for WATCHING football NOT playing......along with stuffing burgers washed down with a beer or 2...unless of course you are lucky and actually PLAY for OUFC.
Don't forget the rugby.

OU brings in crowds, but when the rugby is on the congestion is rivalled only by a set of broken traffic lights on the Botley Road.
[quote][p][bold]fredford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Miss Cynical[/bold] wrote: I only went to the stadium once - through a bargain Groupon deal - and it was virtually empty. If the stadium really were such a 'hot ticket' for people living in Oxford, I very much doubt the owners would be considering its sale. Clearly, it isn't making all that much money and the people in charge have decided to put the land to better use. Fair enough. This is a site absolutely surrounded by other housing - it's hardly green belt!! I am a first time buyer looking to get on the property ladder. There is hardly anywhere affordable available in Oxford! There is a desperate need for housing below the £200k mark and perhaps this just might offer a solution to local people. Agree it's really important to keep sporting facilities, but I don't think greyhound racing - which advocates drinking pints, eating burgers and watching dogs do exercise - will really help us tackle rising obesity. Unlike football - practised at the Kassam.[/p][/quote]Think you may be dissapointed if the plans go ahead and you see the prices of the new houses;) by the way i,ll let you into a little secret........The Kassam stadium is for WATCHING football NOT playing......along with stuffing burgers washed down with a beer or 2...unless of course you are lucky and actually PLAY for OUFC.[/p][/quote]Don't forget the rugby. OU brings in crowds, but when the rugby is on the congestion is rivalled only by a set of broken traffic lights on the Botley Road. Andrew:Oxford

7:12am Tue 4 Dec 12

Andrew:Oxford says...

fredford wrote:
Knock a facility down and build houses on it,fair enough BUT please please dont come out with all the bull about desperately needed housing.....plans to alleviate the housing shortage were thrown out not long ago,4000+ houses were going to be built as an extension to greater leys but because a few Nimbys from Garsington didnt want the great unwashed to get too close to them hollered from the rooftops the plan was thrown out...the stadium has been deliberately run down and the plan all along was to sell for housing to maximise profit .
I'm not sure if the people of Garsington were realy that bothered....

"New Baldons" (there is a clue in the name) was to be built over a mile west of Garsington.

Pesonally, I think the land south of Grenoble Road should be rebuilt as a golf course - with the current course at Southfield rezoned for housing. It is, after all, within walking distance of 10s of thousands of jobs.
[quote][p][bold]fredford[/bold] wrote: Knock a facility down and build houses on it,fair enough BUT please please dont come out with all the bull about desperately needed housing.....plans to alleviate the housing shortage were thrown out not long ago,4000+ houses were going to be built as an extension to greater leys but because a few Nimbys from Garsington didnt want the great unwashed to get too close to them hollered from the rooftops the plan was thrown out...the stadium has been deliberately run down and the plan all along was to sell for housing to maximise profit .[/p][/quote]I'm not sure if the people of Garsington were realy that bothered.... "New Baldons" (there is a clue in the name) was to be built over a mile west of Garsington. Pesonally, I think the land south of Grenoble Road should be rebuilt as a golf course - with the current course at Southfield rezoned for housing. It is, after all, within walking distance of 10s of thousands of jobs. Andrew:Oxford

3:59pm Tue 4 Dec 12

to ny w says...

Again, you have all missed the point as to why it is closing.

BAGS racing at Oxford has stopped.

This £500 k per annum contract lifeline to any dogs track has not been renewed.

Why?

See my detailed analysis elsewhere in this website..

BAGS didn't renew the contract at Oxford, because it is more profitable to have races elsewhere.

Off course bookies, Hills, Corals etc have been hit by orchestrated off course gambles at BAGS meetings at Oxford.

Cash limits in bookies around Oxford have been in place for years. I should know as I am an ex owner.

BAGS have been the death knell for Oxford Stadium, not any planning consent.

If Oxford was profitable without BAGS, it wouldn't be closing at XMAS, it would carry on until it can be developed.

As I said before, the GOLDEN GOOSE has been shot by greed.
Again, you have all missed the point as to why it is closing. BAGS racing at Oxford has stopped. This £500 k per annum contract lifeline to any dogs track has not been renewed. Why? See my detailed analysis elsewhere in this website.. BAGS didn't renew the contract at Oxford, because it is more profitable to have races elsewhere. Off course bookies, Hills, Corals etc have been hit by orchestrated off course gambles at BAGS meetings at Oxford. Cash limits in bookies around Oxford have been in place for years. I should know as I am an ex owner. BAGS have been the death knell for Oxford Stadium, not any planning consent. If Oxford was profitable without BAGS, it wouldn't be closing at XMAS, it would carry on until it can be developed. As I said before, the GOLDEN GOOSE has been shot by greed. to ny w

5:58pm Tue 4 Dec 12

Pavinder Msvarensy says...

To ny w, with all due respect your are talking out of the wrong end. There are buyers for the stadium who will run it profitably and bring back speedway, but the PROPERTY SPECULATORS that own it will not sell. It has nothing to do with off course betting or BAGS, it is to do with killing a perfectly good track in the name of P.S. A simple question for you, why won't they sell it as a going concern? If you are who you say you are To ny w, you will be able to answer
To ny w, with all due respect your are talking out of the wrong end. There are buyers for the stadium who will run it profitably and bring back speedway, but the PROPERTY SPECULATORS that own it will not sell. It has nothing to do with off course betting or BAGS, it is to do with killing a perfectly good track in the name of P.S. A simple question for you, why won't they sell it as a going concern? If you are who you say you are To ny w, you will be able to answer Pavinder Msvarensy

7:05pm Tue 4 Dec 12

to ny w says...

Simple.in the long run It is worth more as a development site\
But it may take 12 months to get planning. It is closing now as BAGS have pulled out.
One dead goose.
Simple.in the long run It is worth more as a development site\ But it may take 12 months to get planning. It is closing now as BAGS have pulled out. One dead goose. to ny w

10:18am Wed 5 Dec 12

## Nonny Mouse ## says...

fredford wrote:
Dilligaf2010 wrote:
GRB wrote:
Dilligaf2010: You're clearly a prize w***er!
Actually, I've not won that many prizes. But I have got an IQ of 145, considerably higher than yours, if all you can contribute is an attempted insult.
When you've finished school later, perhaps you'd like to try and contribute something more worthwhile?
Ahhhhh the old " look at my high IQ, aint i a clever boy???? " bet you filled in one of those IQ test ripoffs on the net and got that figure from there. ha ha ha
It shows a distinct lack of intelligence when someone states that they are more intelligent than someone else.

Bless.
[quote][p][bold]fredford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dilligaf2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GRB[/bold] wrote: Dilligaf2010: You're clearly a prize w***er![/p][/quote]Actually, I've not won that many prizes. But I have got an IQ of 145, considerably higher than yours, if all you can contribute is an attempted insult. When you've finished school later, perhaps you'd like to try and contribute something more worthwhile?[/p][/quote]Ahhhhh the old " look at my high IQ, aint i a clever boy???? " bet you filled in one of those IQ test ripoffs on the net and got that figure from there. ha ha ha[/p][/quote]It shows a distinct lack of intelligence when someone states that they are more intelligent than someone else. Bless. ## Nonny Mouse ##

7:55pm Sun 9 Dec 12

Pavinder Msvarensy says...

TO NY W. WAKE UP. We all know the BAGS excuse, ANSWER MY QUESTION. there are 2 companies that can run it profitably, why don't the GRA sell it to them? SIMPLE QUESTION.
TO NY W. WAKE UP. We all know the BAGS excuse, ANSWER MY QUESTION. there are 2 companies that can run it profitably, why don't the GRA sell it to them? SIMPLE QUESTION. Pavinder Msvarensy

8:11pm Sun 9 Dec 12

to ny w says...

Pavinder Msvarensy wrote:
TO NY W. WAKE UP. We all know the BAGS excuse, ANSWER MY QUESTION. there are 2 companies that can run it profitably, why don't the GRA sell it to them? SIMPLE QUESTION.
Those two companies are bookmahers, i assume. They would of course take BAGS away from other GRA tracks, It is called self preservation, plus capitalising their asset.
[quote][p][bold]Pavinder Msvarensy[/bold] wrote: TO NY W. WAKE UP. We all know the BAGS excuse, ANSWER MY QUESTION. there are 2 companies that can run it profitably, why don't the GRA sell it to them? SIMPLE QUESTION.[/p][/quote]Those two companies are bookmahers, i assume. They would of course take BAGS away from other GRA tracks, It is called self preservation, plus capitalising their asset. to ny w

11:29am Fri 21 Dec 12

A34North says...

Dilligaf2010 wrote:
Bartsimpson_uk wrote:
Dog and speedway racing attracts more support than Oxford City football, so according to you we should build there as well. How much support does a sport need to attract to stop it being closed then?? Where is your logic in knocking the stadium down and rebuilding it elsewhere?? Why not just build the houses at the new location????
I'm all for building on football pitches, hate the sport personally.
If your facts are correct, why isn't the Kassam Stadium up for sale?
A dog & speedway track can be built almost anywhere, but not houses, houses need infrastructure & amenities, dog tracks don't.
Well hello Dilly 'my friend'. You really are not a sporty kind are you and the thought of people enjoying themselves through their chosen recreational pleasure must fill you with dread.
The last time I recall you decrying peoples enjoyment was when your old mate Trenton Oldfield stopped the boat race. I suppose by your logic we should ban the boat race and fill the Thames with houseboats. Oh, good photo of the flooding by the way.
[quote][p][bold]Dilligaf2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bartsimpson_uk[/bold] wrote: Dog and speedway racing attracts more support than Oxford City football, so according to you we should build there as well. How much support does a sport need to attract to stop it being closed then?? Where is your logic in knocking the stadium down and rebuilding it elsewhere?? Why not just build the houses at the new location????[/p][/quote]I'm all for building on football pitches, hate the sport personally. If your facts are correct, why isn't the Kassam Stadium up for sale? A dog & speedway track can be built almost anywhere, but not houses, houses need infrastructure & amenities, dog tracks don't.[/p][/quote]Well hello Dilly 'my friend'. You really are not a sporty kind are you and the thought of people enjoying themselves through their chosen recreational pleasure must fill you with dread. The last time I recall you decrying peoples enjoyment was when your old mate Trenton Oldfield stopped the boat race. I suppose by your logic we should ban the boat race and fill the Thames with houseboats. Oh, good photo of the flooding by the way. A34North

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree