AN investigation was continuing yesterday after a man’s body was pulled out of the Oxford Canal.
Police officers cordoned off part of the towpath after they were called to the scene near Rewley Road, at 11.40am on Saturday.
The man’s body had been spotted by a member of the public and firefighters and police worked to recover it.
The man is believed to be in his 60s and found in the area around the former Castle Mill boatyard.
As they carried out a search of the area, police officers cordoned off the towpath, from near Hythe Bridge Street to the footbridge leading into Jericho, but by 3pm the cordon had been removed.
Alex Robinson, of Rickyard Close, pictured, said: “I saw the police were outside and they cordoned off access to the towpath but they weren’t willing to tell me what had happened.”
A member of the boating community said: “All I saw was police officers going up there towards Jericho.
“I haven’t known anyone fall in before other than myself.”
Oxfordshire Fire Service sent an emergency team with a dinghy to Canal Street in Jericho, and staff from South Central Ambulance also attended.
The man had not been identified yesterday.
The man was pronounced dead at the scene and his body was taken to John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford for a post mortem examination.
Police are not treating the death as suspicious at this stage but have refused to answer any questions about their investigation.
Anyone with information about the man’s death can call Det Sgt Matt Jarman on 101.
Picture: OX56600 David Fleming