BULLFINCH TRIAL DAY 6: Alleged victim 'wanted to stop it happening to others' (From The Oxford Times)
When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
BULLFINCH TRIAL DAY 6: Alleged victim 'wanted to stop it happening to others'
AN ALLEGED child sex exploitation victim spoke to the police six years after she was abused to “stop it happening to others”.
The Old Bailey heard yesterday the girl was questioned by police in 2006 when she was 14.
But after telling police she had sex with a “number of Asian men” she refused to press charges.
Known as Girl 2, she is the first witness to give evidence. She cannot be named for legal reasons and told the jury she had been too scared to speak out until she saw media coverage of the arrests last March.
Nine men, aged between 24 and 38, deny 79 charges including rape and sex trafficking.
Giving evidence from behind a curtain, Girl 2 said: “They (the police) told me it had been happening to other girls. I thought I would put down my statement so it could be stopped happening to other girls.”
She said she was too scared of the men before. “I wouldn’t even go to Oxford because I was so frightened,” she said.
The jury also heard a recording from a police interview in May last year. In it Girl 2 told police she did not say anything earlier as she was afraid about what would happen when the men were released.
She said: “The police wouldn’t believe a young person. They would probably think I was making it up.”
The witness, now in her 20s, claims Kamar Jamil and brothers Akhtar and Anjum Dogar abused her between July and September in 2006 while she lived at a children’s home.
She says Anjum “Jammy” Dogar made her perform a sex act on him in a park. When asked by Lee Karu, defending Anjum Dogar, if she knew what his client looked like, she said: “I’d never forget him.”
But Mr Karu said: “Either when you say Jammy was there, you have got the wrong man – you are muddled up. Or this didn’t happen.”
The woman said: “Not at all. It did happen.”
Sgt Felicity Parker later told the court how she found Girl 2 in a flat in St Thomas Mews with an Asian man called “Haji Khan” in August 2006.
Akhtar arrived carrying a beer, she said, before Anjum and then a man called “Colum Flagherty”. Both were carrying cash and a condom.
Sgt Parker said the girl told her she was 16, adding: “I disbelieved her instantly. She didn’t look 16 years of age at all. She looked more 13.”
The officer spoke to the girl in another bedroom, where she told her she was 14 and had run away from a children’s home.
All four men were arrested on suspicion of rape. The jury will not sit today as lawyers discuss legal issues.
Girl 1, the second witness will take to the stand tomorrow. She says she was raped and sold for sex by the Dogar brothers and Kamar Jamil between 2004 and 2007 from when she was 12 and 15.
The trial continues.
- Kamar Jamil, 27, of Aldrich Road, Summertown, Oxford, denies four rapes, three charges of conspiracy to rape, two of arranging or facilitating child prostitution, and one of trafficking for sexual exploitation.
- Akhtar Dogar, 32, of Tawney Street, East Oxford, denies six rapes, three charges of conspiracy to rape, three of arranging or facilitating child prostitution, and trafficking for sexual exploitation.
- Assad Hussain, 32, of Ashhurst Way, Rose Hill, Oxford, denies two charges of conspiracy to rape and three of sexual activity with a child.
- Anjum Dogar, 30, of Tawney Street, East Oxford, denies four rapes, three charges of conspiracy to rape, three of arranging or facilitating child prostitution, and trafficking for sexual exploitation.
- Mohammed Karrar, 38, of Kames Close, Cowley, denies seven rapes, four charges of conspiracy to rape, an alternative charge of conspiracy to commit sexual activity with a child, two of trafficking for sexual exploitation, two of arranging or facilitating child prostitution, assault, conspiracy to assault, using an instrument to procure a miscarriage, and supplying a Class A drug to another.
- Bassam Karrar, 33, Hundred Acres Close, Cowley, denies three rapes, three charges of conspiracy to rape, two charges of arranging or facilitating child prostitution, trafficking for sexual exploitation, and conspiracy to assault.
- Mohammed Hussain, 24, of Horspath Road, Cowley, Oxford, denies rape, conspiracy to engage in sexual activity with a child, and two charges of sexual activity with a child.
- Zeeshan Ahmed, 27, of Palmer Road, Wood Farm, Oxford, denies two charges of conspiracy to engage in sexual activity with a child and two charges of sexual activity with a child.
- Bilal Ahmed, 26, of Suffolk Road, Maidenhead, denies conspiracy to engage in sexual activity with a child and sexual activity with a child.