When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Store stays silent over plan row
7:00pm Saturday 2nd February 2013 in News
THERE is still no word from Sainsbury’s over its plans for the future of Bicester town centre’s redevelopment, due to open this summer.
Earlier this month the supermarket giant was left fuming after Cherwell district councillors approved plans to relocate the Pingle Drive Tesco and double its size.
Co-ordinated planning applications by Tesco and Bicester Village, to expand the designer outlet, move Tesco opposite its current site, and carry out £11m of road improvements, were approved.
Sainsbury’s said that would undermine its investment and the vitality and viability of the town centre.
Both planning applications have now been referred to the Secretary of State for Local Government and Communities in a bid to force a public inquiry.
If the minister ‘calls in’ the decision, a public inquiry would take place and that could delay any start of work by about six months.
Sainsbury’s said the proposals should be discussed at an inquiry, but has yet to comment further on whether it will stall work in the town centre.