When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Girl cut herself to "take away the hurt", Old Bailey hears
A SCHOOLGIRL told her mother she cut herself with razor blades to "take away the hurt", the Old Bailey heard this morning.
The mother of the unnamed witness known as Girl 1 has taken the witness stand at the trial of nine men accused of running a child sex ring in Oxford.
The London court has also heard taxi drivers were involved in the abuse.
Girl 1 claims she was raped and sold for sex by Kamar Jamil, and brothers Akhtar and Anjum Dogar from the age of 12 in 2004 to when she was 15 in 2007.
Her mum broke down as she told the court she felt she had "failed" as a parent after her daughter changed from a "friendly" and "wonderful" student to someone who was "argumentative" and "sneaky".
She said she began to keep a diary of her daughter's behaviour to tell police and social services.
And she told the court she found cuts and scratches on her daughter's wrists and inner thighs She said: "I was beside myself with worry.
"I was afraid for her and I wanted my little girl to be okay.
"She just said it takes all the pain away mum."
The trial also heard evidence from DC Jane Crump who was the county's missing persons coordinator.
Girl 1 told DC Crump in March 2007 she had been "groomed" by one of the defendants.
Prosecutor Neil Moore, reading notes from DC Crump, said: "Girl 1 stated she felt she was groomed by Akhtr Dogar.
"He encouraged her drug use and frequently had sex with her knowing she was under 16.
"He also encouraged his friends to have sex with her and charge £50 each. Girl 1 received £20.
"Some of the males involved were from the taxi driving fraternity in Oxford."
The court heard Girl 1 told her in February 2006 she had been force against her will to stay with Asians in Cowley Road who forced her to snort cocaine.
She also said the men paid "females" to go to Pakistan to take part in arranged marriages and smuggle drugs back.
Police were told Akhtar Dogar had tried to prostitute Girl 1 and another witness known as Girl 2.
DC Crump noted the girls were "afraid" of Akhtar Dogar.
And in September 2006 DC Crump was told by Girl 1 that she felt she had to do what Akhtar Dogar wanted or he would "turn nasty".
The girl, aged 15, also said she drank alcohol to "cope" with the ordeal.
DC Crump said she had met the girl about 10 times during the period.
She told the court: "My aim at the time was to gain her trust and talk to the police about what was happening to her."
The jury also heard a statement from Dr Richard Guilding who examined Girl 1 after she reported Akhtar Dogar had raped her in September 2006.
He reported an "unusual" mouth injury "consistent with forceful oral sex" and bruising on her neck and chest.
The nine defendants deny all the charges.
The trial continues.
The accused all deny the charges. They are:
- Kamar Jamil, 27, of Aldrich Road, Summertown, Oxford, denies four rapes, three charges of conspiracy to rape, two of arranging or facilitating child prostitution, and one of trafficking for sexual exploitation.
- Akhtar Dogar, 32, of Tawney Street, East Oxford, denies six rapes, three charges of conspiracy to rape, three of arranging or facilitating child prostitution, and trafficking for sexual exploitation.
- Anjum Dogar, 30, of Tawney Street, East Oxford, denies four rapes, three charges of conspiracy to rape, three of arranging or facilitating child prostitution, and trafficking for sexual exploitation.
- Assad Hussain, 32, of Ashhurst Way, Rose Hill, Oxford, denies two charges of conspiracy to rape and three of sexual activity with a child.
- Mohammed Karrar, 38, of Kames Close, Cowley, Oxford, denies seven rapes, four charges of conspiracy to rape, an alternative charge of conspiracy to commit sexual activity with a child, two of trafficking for sexual exploitation, two of arranging or facilitating child prostitution, assault, conspiracy to assault, using an instrument to procure a miscarriage, and supplying a Class A drug to another.
- Bassam Karrar, 33, of Hundred Acres Close, Cowley, Oxford, denies three rapes, three charges of conspiracy to rape, two charges of arranging or facilitating child prostitution, trafficking for sexual exploitation, and conspiracy to assault.
- Mohammed Hussain, 24, of Horspath Road, Cowley, Oxford, denies rape, conspiracy to engage in sexual activity with a child, and two charges of sexual activity with a child.
- Zeeshan Ahmed, 27, of Palmer Road, Wood Farm, Oxford, denies two charges of conspiracy to engage in sexual activity with a child and two charges of sexual activity with a child.
- Bilal Ahmed, 26, of Suffolk Road, Maidenhead, denies conspiracy to engage in sexual activity with a child and sexual activity with a child.