Day 21: Doctor not quizzed about 'golf holiday'
A DOCTOR who “arranged a golf trip” while examining an alleged teenage rape victim did not have to answer questions about the claim.
The Oxford child sex exploitation trial heard last week that after the 14-year-girl reported a “brutal” rape, a “completely insensitive” police doctor carried out a medical exam.
The complainant, known as Girl 3 as she cannot be named, told the Old Bailey on Wednesday that the doctor was “on the phone arranging a golf trip” while she was being examined.
The witness, now 20, also told the jury she had not felt comfortable talking to the physician.
Dr Christopher Smart, a Thames Valley Police forensic medical examiner, checked the teen after she told police Bassam Karrar had attacked her at the Nanford Guest House in November 2006. Yesterday he told the court he could not remember “specific details” about the two hour 45 minute examination but said the girl was “tired”, “tearful”, and “distressed”. He described the examination as “tense and difficult”.
But neither prosecutor Noel Lucas or Karrar’s defence barrister Mark Milliken-Smith asked the physician whether the golf allegation was true. Neither would comment to the Oxford Mail.
Girl 3 told the court last week she had been beaten, choked and raped twice in the sex assault.
Referring to his notes, Dr Smart said he found two grazes – one 5cm long and the other 7cm – on the back of the girl’s neck. He also discovered bruising around both her knees. But he said he had found no other visible injuries.
He also said the girl had told him her attacker had forced her head under water and tried to inject her with something.
He told the court his examination did not prove or disprove the sex attack had taken place.
He said: “My first opinion was the clinical examination does not reveal any evidence consistent with an allegation of sustained and, or forceful intercourse, or sustainedly social assault.
“However such lack of evidence does not exclude the possibility that the complainant was a victim of a serious sexual assault.”
And he told the jury: “It’s a possibility for an aggrieved party to sustain a significant sexual assault and not leave any physical signs to support that.”
The girl’s mother and a police officer were also present at the examination, the court heard.
The girl dropped the rape accusation after pressure from a friend, the court also heard last week.
On Thursday, the jury heard a guest at the Iffley Road hotel called the police after hearing a man attacking a woman in the room next to him.
Dc Rebecca Burley told the court she found the girl in a “complete mess” after she was called to the guest house.
Nine men accused of running a child sex exploitation gang in Oxford deny all 79 charges.
The trial continues.
- A play warning of the dangers of sexual exploitation began a tour of county secondary schools yesterday. Chelsea’s Choice was shown to Year Nine boys at St Birinus School, Didcot. Oxfordshire County Council has commissioned Northampton’s AlterEgo Theatre Company to take it to all secondaries by the end of March. For a full report see tomorrow’s Oxford Mail.