When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
BULLFINCH TRIAL DAY 23: ‘I had to have sex with men to prove my love.'
A MAN told a 12-year-old girl he loved her and asked her to have sex with other men to “prove” she loved him, the Old Bailey heard.
And when she fell pregnant the child was drugged and made to have an illegal abortion, the court was told.
The alleged victim yesterday began giving evidence at the Oxford child sex exploitation trial.
She told the court Mohammed Karrar, 38, said he wanted to marry her and have children.
Known as Girl 4 as she cannot be named, she says she was raped and sold for sex by brothers Mohammed and Bassam Karrar between the ages of 11 and 15.
The witness shook and sobbed as she gave evidence via a video link. She told the jury Mohammed Karrar first made her feel like they were in a relationship and he would buy her gifts from the Body Shop. She described this as the “honeymoon period”.
But she said he started to ask her to have sex with his “friends”.
She said he told her: “I love you baby. You are proving you love me because you would do anything for me.”
The child was made to have sex with up to four men in one evening, the court heard.
The abuse would happen in the girl’s living room and also at a flat near St Ebbe’s School and the Nanford Guest House.
Before she became involved with the Karrars, the girl had a “huge responsibility” as she cared for her parents, the jury heard.
But she said she wanted “more freedom” and began to “rebel”.
She said: “I just took control from there – doing what I liked when I liked. You think you are in control and you are doing what you wanted. You think you are right, you think you are streetwise. But you realise you aren’t in control.”
The young woman said she was 11 when she was brought to meet Mohammed and Bassam Karrar outside the ice rink in Oxpens Road. She refused to name the woman who set up the meeting.
She said they went to a property and Mohammed Karrar had sex with her.
She broke down and said: “I didn’t have a say because it didn’t matter.” But she said they started to see more of each other, adding: “He always told me that he loved me. He led me to believe it was a relationship.”
She said Mohammed Karrar was married and had two boys. She said he had also got another woman pregnant.
The jury heard he told the girl he was going to take her to Saudi Arabia when she was 15 and marry her. He also said he wanted to have children with her.
The teenager said when she was 12, he got her pregnant and was “fuming” when she told him. She said he put his hand around her throat.
She said: “He said to me ‘you are not having this baby’.”
The court heard she was given drugs and driven to “an underground abortion clinic” in Reading.
The nine defendants deny all 51 counts. The trial continues tomorrow.
- Kamar Jamil, 27, of Aldrich Road, Summertown, Oxford, denies four rapes, three charges of conspiracy to rape, two of arranging or facilitating child prostitution, and one of trafficking for sexual exploitation.
- Akhtar Dogar, 32, of Tawney Street, East Oxford, denies six rapes, three charges of conspiracy to rape, three of arranging or facilitating child prostitution, and trafficking for sexual exploitation.
- Assad Hussain, 32, of Ashhurst Way, Rose Hill, Oxford, denies two charges of conspiracy to rape and three of sexual activity with a child.
- Anjum Dogar, 30, of Tawney Street, East Oxford, denies four rapes, three charges of conspiracy to rape, three of arranging or facilitating child prostitution, and trafficking for sexual exploitation.
- Mohammed Karrar, 38, of Kames Close, Cowley, denies seven rapes, four charges of conspiracy to rape, an alternative charge of conspiracy to commit sexual activity with a child, two of trafficking for sexual exploitation, two of arranging or facilitating child prostitution, assault, conspiracy to assault, using an instrument to procure a miscarriage, and supplying a Class A drug to another.
- Bassam Karrar, 33, Hundred Acres Close, Cowley, denies three rapes, three charges of conspiracy to rape, two charges of arranging or facilitating child prostitution, trafficking for sexual exploitation, and conspiracy to assault.
- Mohammed Hussain, 24, of Horspath Road, Cowley, Oxford, denies rape, conspiracy to engage in sexual activity with a child, and two charges of sexual activity with a child.
- Zeeshan Ahmed, 27, of Palmer Road, Wood Farm, Oxford, denies two charges of conspiracy to engage in sexual activity with a child and two charges of sexual activity with a child.
- Bilal Ahmed, 26, of Suffolk Road, Maidenhead, denies conspiracy to engage in sexual activity with a child and sexual activity with a child.