When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Carer rescues elderly woman from a flat fire in Didcot
11:37am Sunday 27th October 2013 in News
A "brave" carer rescued an elderly woman from her flat after a small fire broke out.
The fire service have praised the actions of the carer who rescued the woman from her flat in Fairacres Road, Didcot, yesterday afternoon.
The elderly woman was given oxygen for smoke inhalation by firefighters while her carer was checked over before paramedics arrived.
A dropped cigarette that ignited materials in a wooden wicker basket caused the small fire.
Station Manager Marcus Reay said the woman had a "lucky escape".
He added: "Cigarettes that fall on to sofas or cushions can easily result in far larger fires with tragic consequences.
“I would like to thank the carer that rescued the elderly lady. Although the Fire and Rescue Service do not advocate entering a building that is on fire, it was a very brave thing to do and highlights what a special carer she is.
"Her actions certainly reduced the injuries to the elderly lady."