When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Update: Four-year-old girl taken to hospital after locksmiths fire
12:22pm Saturday 25th January 2014 in News
FIREFIGHTERS tackled a blaze at BMA Varsity Ltd locksmiths in Oxford Road, Cowley.
Crews were called to the scene just before 3am after reports of a fire in the ground floor of the building.
Station manager Simon Belcher said 15 firefighters worked to bring the blaze under control.
He said: "We believe the fire began in the fuse box and had been going for some time when we arrived but thanks to the public and residents for raising the alarm as soon as they could.
"The firefighters went in with breathing apparatus and made sure there was nobody in the building.
"One young girl from a neighbouring property was taken to hospital after what was thought to be smoke inhalation. We worked with Southern Electric to isolate the electrics."
Mr Belcher said there was an extensive amount of smoke damage to the property. He said an investigation had been carried out and the fire wasn't thought to be suspicious.
Karen Kawawada, who lives two doors down with her husband and two children, said her four-year-old daughter had to be taken to hospital after becoming ill outside.
The 38-year-old said: "At around 3am the firefighters came to tell us we should leave the property so we did.
"My daughter had to go to hospital but she was ok in the end."