GRIEVING parents of a 10-year-old killed after a car accident outside a Didcot school, said their son sacrificed his life so it never happens again.
Freddie Perry, pictured, died after a collision involving a car driven by a teacher from his sister’s school on September 10 last year, near his home in Oxford Crescent.
His parents Judith and Lea Perry are now leading a campaign to try to make the road safer by putting in speed bumps and cutting the speed limit from 30mph to 20mph.
The couple, who are also parents to daughters Eloise, 11, and Rhiannon, 15, say they want to spare other families the pain of a similar loss.
Mr Perry said: “He was the child every parent dreamed to have. We don’t want anyone else to go through what we are going through. My son’s life was taken, our little boy, and we are left to deal with it.
“Something is going to happen on that road again if nothing is changed.
He added: “We see it that Freddie has given has life so nobody else has to suffer the in the same way we are going through.”
The couple said cars parked along the road, and parents who drop their children off at Didcot Girls’ School half way down the street, make it very dangerous.
A teacher from Didcot Girls’ School – which Freddie’s sister Eloise had recently joined – was driving a Nissan Micra involved in the incident in September.
Thames Valley Police spokeswoman Rhianne Pope confirmed that the teacher had been cleared of any blame and was thought to be going well below the 30mph speed limit.
Headteacher of Didcot Girls’ School Rachael Warwick said: “As a school, we would certainly welcome the introduction of a 20mph speed limit around the site, although we know this would not have prevented Freddie Perry’s tragic accident as the driver was travelling well below the speed limit.”
Last year, Freddie’s parents called for extra parking spaces to be built into the village green area to increase visibility, which they say was rejected by Oxfordshire County Council.
Mr Perry said: “We are absolutely livid; it is very hard to deal with that – something that was going to be a legacy to stop it happening again has been taken away.”
Council spokesman Martin Crabtree said: “The county council has been working with Mrs and Mr Perry, the local county councillor and local community to find a suitable safety solution on Oxford Crescent.
“We think that it should be possible to provide some safety measures. We are still looking at and discussing what would be the right solution.”