New saviour for Oxford stadium

Robert Tyrrell and Nick Budimir, with Brook Alder, at Oxford Stadium, which they are hoping to buy

Robert Tyrrell and Nick Budimir, with Brook Alder, at Oxford Stadium, which they are hoping to buy

First published in News The Oxford Times: Photograph of the Author by , Council Reporter, also covering Oxford city centre. Call me on 01865 425429

AN OXFORDSHIRE farmer has come forward as the man behind an attempt to buy Oxford Stadium.

Robert Tyrrell from Steventon has said he has already contacted developer Galliard about buying the Blackbird Leys stadium and has deposited money with a solicitor to try to clinch the deal.

He is being helped in his bid to buy the stadium by Nick Budimir, a friend of football manager Harry Redknapp, who once owned a greyhound with the QPR boss.

And the pair say that capitalising on both the greyhound racing and speedway at the site could both revive the stadium and offer a blueprint for all other struggling greyhound venues in the UK.

Mr Tyrrell, who sits on Steventon Parish Council, declined to say how much he was offering to pay Galliard, but said he had had the stadium in Sandy Lane independently valued.

The farmer – who has owned racehorses for 30 years but has never before been involved in a bid such as this – said: “I got involved in dog training many years ago and I have been thinking about buying the stadium since last summer.

“I was introduced to Nick one day and we suggested we ought to have a chat and we have been talking ever since. “Before Christmas, I was told people didn’t know who I am and I ought to come forward but at the time we had a live bid in.

“Now we feel it is time to introduce ourselves.”

Last month, millionaire racing track promoter Harry Findlay pulled out of the running to buy the stadium. Greyhound racing at the stadium stopped in December 2012 when owners, the Greyhound Racing Association, said it was no longer financially viable. Since then, developer Galliard has submitted a planning application to build 220 homes on the site.

After Oxford City Council rejected the scheme, Galliard decided to take the issue to a planning appeal which means an independent Government inspector will make a final decision. Brook Adler, Mr Tyrrell’s accountant, said the pair had submitted several bids for the stadium already.

But he said the best chance of buying it would be if and when the inspector decides in their favour. “When planning permission is turned down, then I think Galliard will make a decision and put this site on the market because they will be looking to get the best possible price for it,” he said.

“Then Robert will make an offer. “If it was the case that planning permission was granted, then we would not be in the frame because we have no interest in redeveloping this site for residential use.”

In 2003, Mr Tyrrell was given community service and told to pay compensation after ramming a farm vehicle into his North Star pub in Steventon after being refused service.

Mr Findlay pulled out of the running to buy the stadium because he did not think his plans were sustainable. But Mr Budimir, who said he has been in greyhound racing for around 30 years, said the stadium could be viable because of the wide range of activities that go on there. He said: “The stadium is part of the heritage of Oxford.

“Everyone says greyhound racing is struggling and speedway is struggling, but if you put them all together they are the components of a world-class product.

“There is so much support for this stadium. “We know we can put all these components together.

“It is not fantasy land – this is actual fact. “I honestly believe that this stadium could not only be viable, but a blueprint for every other greyhound track in the country.”

He has also recruited Mr Redknapp into the battle for Oxford Stadium and the former Tottenham Hotspur manager, whose dog, Ballymac Charley, won the Oxford Pall Mall in 2007, has submitted a letter for the planning inspector.

Mr Redknapp said: “The outstanding memory I have of that night was the warmth and kindness of the Oxford people.

“I must have shaken hands and was congratulated by half the stadium and signed an autograph for the other half. Great times. And I do sincerely hope they return soon.”

Former Oxford Stadium promotions manager Mick Wheble said: “Bob Tyrrell has been a greyhound owner and supporter for many years and having him as a potential bidder is great because he knows greyhound racing and knows the stadium.

“There is probably no-one better to buy it.

“There are two other substantial bidders looking to buy it as soon as the inquiry is over and it dispels the myth that the stadium is not profitable.”

A planning inquiry is expected to be held in Oxford in early summer, but a final date has not yet been set.

Galliard did not comment.

 

 

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:10am Mon 10 Mar 14

bishbosh says...

It is likely that no one yet predicts the outcome of the planning appeal. If it goes in favour of Galliard they will never sell. Surely its time to put a bid in Galliard cannot refuse and that means paying over any independant valuation
It is likely that no one yet predicts the outcome of the planning appeal. If it goes in favour of Galliard they will never sell. Surely its time to put a bid in Galliard cannot refuse and that means paying over any independant valuation bishbosh
  • Score: -3

11:00am Mon 10 Mar 14

EMBOX2 says...

Dog racing and horse racing is dying; over the counter betting, which drives these sports, is in sharp decline. Anyone buying this stadium to hold dog races might as well tip their money in a pile and set fire to it.
Dog racing and horse racing is dying; over the counter betting, which drives these sports, is in sharp decline. Anyone buying this stadium to hold dog races might as well tip their money in a pile and set fire to it. EMBOX2
  • Score: 7

12:28pm Mon 10 Mar 14

camden says...

I think it is likely that the outcome of the planning appeal will go in favour of Galliard. They will form the conclusion Dog racing is in sharp decline and the outlook for any owner running a dog stadium as a viable and profitable business is very bleak. Even if Galliard lose the appeal they will not sell, they will offer a lease/rental agreement and hold on to the ownership of the stadium, the price of land is only going to go up and they know they are sitting on a potential goldmine.
I think it is likely that the outcome of the planning appeal will go in favour of Galliard. They will form the conclusion Dog racing is in sharp decline and the outlook for any owner running a dog stadium as a viable and profitable business is very bleak. Even if Galliard lose the appeal they will not sell, they will offer a lease/rental agreement and hold on to the ownership of the stadium, the price of land is only going to go up and they know they are sitting on a potential goldmine. camden
  • Score: 5

6:03pm Mon 10 Mar 14

MrGrumble says...

If he gets it, can I just ask that he considers also having a proper farmers market there, it would generate lots of income for local farmers and if anything like the Bridgwater one, that's a hell of bonus to the consumer too
If he gets it, can I just ask that he considers also having a proper farmers market there, it would generate lots of income for local farmers and if anything like the Bridgwater one, that's a hell of bonus to the consumer too MrGrumble
  • Score: 2

6:04pm Mon 10 Mar 14

pollypenny says...

I am praying that the planning appeal from Galliard is accepted and no dogs have to suffer the exploitation of the barbaric racing industry at this stadium. Anyone who still finds it acceptable to race dogs for money is clearly devoid of any respect or compassion towards them. The over breeding, abandonment, injuries, drug use, premature euthanasia and overall treatment of greyhounds in the racing industry is totally unacceptable and should be outlawed if we are to move forward as a nation of dog lovers.
As the owner of two rescued greyhounds and someone who is very well acquainted with the independent rescues that struggle to rehome all the abandoned and retired greyhounds, I can speak quite literally from experience.
I am not at all surprised that Robert Tyrrell has no qualms about greyhound racing though, as he managed 30 years in the racehorse industry without recognising the pitiful welfare issues linked to yet another abusive and exploitative so called sport. It's all about the money and never about the living, breathing animals that he sees as commodities. Shame on him and all those who see this as acceptable.
I am praying that the planning appeal from Galliard is accepted and no dogs have to suffer the exploitation of the barbaric racing industry at this stadium. Anyone who still finds it acceptable to race dogs for money is clearly devoid of any respect or compassion towards them. The over breeding, abandonment, injuries, drug use, premature euthanasia and overall treatment of greyhounds in the racing industry is totally unacceptable and should be outlawed if we are to move forward as a nation of dog lovers. As the owner of two rescued greyhounds and someone who is very well acquainted with the independent rescues that struggle to rehome all the abandoned and retired greyhounds, I can speak quite literally from experience. I am not at all surprised that Robert Tyrrell has no qualms about greyhound racing though, as he managed 30 years in the racehorse industry without recognising the pitiful welfare issues linked to yet another abusive and exploitative so called sport. It's all about the money and never about the living, breathing animals that he sees as commodities. Shame on him and all those who see this as acceptable. pollypenny
  • Score: 0

8:29pm Mon 10 Mar 14

bishbosh says...

@pollypenny...wow!!. What about the millions of cattle, sheep,chickens and swine that never see maturity because we are a nation of meat lovers. Exploitation in the name of profit. I take it you and your pet greyhounds are vegetarians or nut eaters.
@pollypenny...wow!!. What about the millions of cattle, sheep,chickens and swine that never see maturity because we are a nation of meat lovers. Exploitation in the name of profit. I take it you and your pet greyhounds are vegetarians or nut eaters. bishbosh
  • Score: -2

9:30pm Mon 10 Mar 14

Walterwhippet says...

Addressing residents housing needs as identified by the local authority in Oxford s housing strategy v continuing a dying cruel industry that people are turning away from as they realise the nature of it .. Greyhound racing ..?? Hmmm hard one isn't it .. Not ! Come on Oxford is a dog racing track really the best you can do in today's world ?
Addressing residents housing needs as identified by the local authority in Oxford s housing strategy v continuing a dying cruel industry that people are turning away from as they realise the nature of it .. Greyhound racing ..?? Hmmm hard one isn't it .. Not ! Come on Oxford is a dog racing track really the best you can do in today's world ? Walterwhippet
  • Score: 4

9:37pm Mon 10 Mar 14

pollypenny says...

bishbosh wrote:
@pollypenny...wow!!. What about the millions of cattle, sheep,chickens and swine that never see maturity because we are a nation of meat lovers. Exploitation in the name of profit. I take it you and your pet greyhounds are vegetarians or nut eaters.
@bishbosh. If I had a pound for every time my views on greyhound racing were sidetracked by going off topic I would be truly rich. For your information I do not eat meat. I am always happy to discuss my views on the meat trade, however I feel this is not the place for that particular discussion.
If you would like to respond to my points on using animals for sport then I will be happy oblige here.
[quote][p][bold]bishbosh[/bold] wrote: @pollypenny...wow!!. What about the millions of cattle, sheep,chickens and swine that never see maturity because we are a nation of meat lovers. Exploitation in the name of profit. I take it you and your pet greyhounds are vegetarians or nut eaters.[/p][/quote]@bishbosh. If I had a pound for every time my views on greyhound racing were sidetracked by going off topic I would be truly rich. For your information I do not eat meat. I am always happy to discuss my views on the meat trade, however I feel this is not the place for that particular discussion. If you would like to respond to my points on using animals for sport then I will be happy oblige here. pollypenny
  • Score: 4

12:11am Tue 11 Mar 14

bishbosh says...

There is no difference between exploiting animals for meat and exploiting as you call it greyhounds to race.. You are not being sidetracked just having difficulty equating the two. We do not need to eat meat and we do not need to race greyhounds but we do. Until you and your greyhounds no longer eat the flesh of other animals then you sound hypocritical when you criticise a pastime you know very little about. Greyhounds are sporting dogs and the vast majority love to race each other. It just so happens they make wonderful pets when they retire. I personally have no time for the unscrupulous in any walk of life. Instead of being anti to anything that relates to Greyhound Racing you should work with those that care within the sport. Believe it or not there are plenty.
There is no difference between exploiting animals for meat and exploiting as you call it greyhounds to race.. You are not being sidetracked just having difficulty equating the two. We do not need to eat meat and we do not need to race greyhounds but we do. Until you and your greyhounds no longer eat the flesh of other animals then you sound hypocritical when you criticise a pastime you know very little about. Greyhounds are sporting dogs and the vast majority love to race each other. It just so happens they make wonderful pets when they retire. I personally have no time for the unscrupulous in any walk of life. Instead of being anti to anything that relates to Greyhound Racing you should work with those that care within the sport. Believe it or not there are plenty. bishbosh
  • Score: -4

8:58am Tue 11 Mar 14

Walterwhippet says...

Sadly Bishbosh we see the evidence of the 'care' you refer to in the independent rescue centres .. Used and discarded having served their purpose .. From the culling of pups that don't show promise to the thousands euthanised ( in various ways ) as there are simply not enough homes and trainers want their fresh dogs .. A internally regulated industry that is weak numbers attending stadiums dropping the public becoming aware of the processes that surrounding greyhound racing and turning away .. It's days are numbered but I'm glad there are people like you who care the dogs can all retire to your 'sofas and live like Kings' as we so often hear
Sadly Bishbosh we see the evidence of the 'care' you refer to in the independent rescue centres .. Used and discarded having served their purpose .. From the culling of pups that don't show promise to the thousands euthanised ( in various ways ) as there are simply not enough homes and trainers want their fresh dogs .. A internally regulated industry that is weak numbers attending stadiums dropping the public becoming aware of the processes that surrounding greyhound racing and turning away .. It's days are numbered but I'm glad there are people like you who care the dogs can all retire to your 'sofas and live like Kings' as we so often hear Walterwhippet
  • Score: 3

10:17am Tue 11 Mar 14

bishbosh says...

In an ideal world no one would be poor or starving. Every Greyhound that is born would live a healthy and fruitful life. No animal would be killed before maturity...only those that died from natural causes would be used to feed others. Walter the whippet you know only too well I did not say and mean all dogs can retire to "our" sofas and live like kings. As a supporter of Greyhound Racing I would never say there is not a problem with the unscrupulous within the sport that only see a fast buck. Not all are like that and the antis singularly fail to engage with those within the sport who really do care about their dogs. Over the years I have owned four racing greyhounds and I know what happened to every one once they retired. None were put to sleep and it cost me financially which is only right.
In an ideal world no one would be poor or starving. Every Greyhound that is born would live a healthy and fruitful life. No animal would be killed before maturity...only those that died from natural causes would be used to feed others. Walter the whippet you know only too well I did not say and mean all dogs can retire to "our" sofas and live like kings. As a supporter of Greyhound Racing I would never say there is not a problem with the unscrupulous within the sport that only see a fast buck. Not all are like that and the antis singularly fail to engage with those within the sport who really do care about their dogs. Over the years I have owned four racing greyhounds and I know what happened to every one once they retired. None were put to sleep and it cost me financially which is only right. bishbosh
  • Score: 0

12:40pm Tue 11 Mar 14

pollypenny says...

bishbosh I don't think you read my comment properly. I totally understand that there is no difference between exploiting animals for meat and exploiting greyhounds to race, which is why I DON'T eat meat and DON'T agree with racing greyhounds. I am unsure how that makes me a hypocrite? Yes, we don't need to eat meat or race dogs, but to just say that 'we do' and assume that makes it all ok is to me being extremely hypocritical. As for me criticising a 'pastime I know very little about', you are very far off the mark with that statement.
I will take your points one at a time and start with your comment "Greyhounds are sporting dogs and the vast majority love to race each other". This is a statement I have heard more times than I care to remember, so allow me to enlighten you. Greyhounds are an ancient hunting breed that have been around since before the middle ages, and racing has only existed in its commercial form in the UK since 1926 - hardly a long tradition. They love to chase prey and also to run for sheer pleasure, this is undeniable. However, we have chosen to exploit that skill and turn it into something far more sinister, The racing industry from the moment a greyhound is born into it is flawed. Firstly, in order to obtain the fasted dogs over breeding takes place, It is impossible for it not to. With over breeding comes failures and excess dogs. What do your think happens to these dogs? If they make the grade they are raced on tracks that are deliberately configured to make it more exciting for the spectator and ultimately more dangerous for the dogs. That first bend is responsible for many injuries and premature deaths. Also, once gambling is involved, as with any sport, with it comes corruption and drug abuse. If the dog makes it to retirement alive it is then faced with the rehoming issue. One which many trainers have no care for whatsoever. I could tell you many a tale (first hand) or the total disregard trainers have to the dog's future after racing.
I could go far deeper into all the negative aspects of racing, but to keep it short and to the point, while there is racing there will be abuse, neglect, abandonment, over breeding, avoidable injuries and premature death. There will continue to be rescue centres bursting at the seems with retired greyhounds and non racers. There simply aren't enough homes for them all.
So when you say I should 'work with those that care within the sport', please tell me how any caring person would even want to be remotely involved in a 'sport' that is responsible for the points mentioned above? It is irrelevant how well you treat the dog you race, you are still putting the dog at risk each time it races and supporting a self regulated, gambling industry which has not a single good point about it for the dogs.
bishbosh I don't think you read my comment properly. I totally understand that there is no difference between exploiting animals for meat and exploiting greyhounds to race, which is why I DON'T eat meat and DON'T agree with racing greyhounds. I am unsure how that makes me a hypocrite? Yes, we don't need to eat meat or race dogs, but to just say that 'we do' and assume that makes it all ok is to me being extremely hypocritical. As for me criticising a 'pastime I know very little about', you are very far off the mark with that statement. I will take your points one at a time and start with your comment "Greyhounds are sporting dogs and the vast majority love to race each other". This is a statement I have heard more times than I care to remember, so allow me to enlighten you. Greyhounds are an ancient hunting breed that have been around since before the middle ages, and racing has only existed in its commercial form in the UK since 1926 - hardly a long tradition. They love to chase prey and also to run for sheer pleasure, this is undeniable. However, we have chosen to exploit that skill and turn it into something far more sinister, The racing industry from the moment a greyhound is born into it is flawed. Firstly, in order to obtain the fasted dogs over breeding takes place, It is impossible for it not to. With over breeding comes failures and excess dogs. What do your think happens to these dogs? If they make the grade they are raced on tracks that are deliberately configured to make it more exciting for the spectator and ultimately more dangerous for the dogs. That first bend is responsible for many injuries and premature deaths. Also, once gambling is involved, as with any sport, with it comes corruption and drug abuse. If the dog makes it to retirement alive it is then faced with the rehoming issue. One which many trainers have no care for whatsoever. I could tell you many a tale (first hand) or the total disregard trainers have to the dog's future after racing. I could go far deeper into all the negative aspects of racing, but to keep it short and to the point, while there is racing there will be abuse, neglect, abandonment, over breeding, avoidable injuries and premature death. There will continue to be rescue centres bursting at the seems with retired greyhounds and non racers. There simply aren't enough homes for them all. So when you say I should 'work with those that care within the sport', please tell me how any caring person would even want to be remotely involved in a 'sport' that is responsible for the points mentioned above? It is irrelevant how well you treat the dog you race, you are still putting the dog at risk each time it races and supporting a self regulated, gambling industry which has not a single good point about it for the dogs. pollypenny
  • Score: 2

1:03pm Tue 11 Mar 14

pollypenny says...

bishbosh wrote:
In an ideal world no one would be poor or starving. Every Greyhound that is born would live a healthy and fruitful life. No animal would be killed before maturity...only those that died from natural causes would be used to feed others. Walter the whippet you know only too well I did not say and mean all dogs can retire to "our" sofas and live like kings. As a supporter of Greyhound Racing I would never say there is not a problem with the unscrupulous within the sport that only see a fast buck. Not all are like that and the antis singularly fail to engage with those within the sport who really do care about their dogs. Over the years I have owned four racing greyhounds and I know what happened to every one once they retired. None were put to sleep and it cost me financially which is only right.
bishbosh, can you enlighten me as to why you support greyhound racing?
Also, you state to know what happened to all of your 4 racing dogs. Why do racing greyhound owners think it is totally acceptable to expect others to rehome their dogs once they have made their money out of them? Do you think that there is a never ending supply of homes just waiting to take your discarded dogs? Have you any idea how many are killed because of this industry and the lack of retirement homes? Do you ave any idea how hard the rescues work to take the discarded dogs and find them homes? You also seem to think that because you knew where your dogs went that makes you caring. Caring is looking after your dog until it's natural death and not putting it at risk of unnecessary injuries along the way or using it for monetary gain. Caring and racing are not words that I could ever put together.
Come and visit my local rescue. Come and witness the despair that the lady who runs it is constantly in because of this industry. Come and see the state of the dogs when they arrive.
I have tried so many times to "engage with those within the sport", but not one has been able to justify it, not one.
[quote][p][bold]bishbosh[/bold] wrote: In an ideal world no one would be poor or starving. Every Greyhound that is born would live a healthy and fruitful life. No animal would be killed before maturity...only those that died from natural causes would be used to feed others. Walter the whippet you know only too well I did not say and mean all dogs can retire to "our" sofas and live like kings. As a supporter of Greyhound Racing I would never say there is not a problem with the unscrupulous within the sport that only see a fast buck. Not all are like that and the antis singularly fail to engage with those within the sport who really do care about their dogs. Over the years I have owned four racing greyhounds and I know what happened to every one once they retired. None were put to sleep and it cost me financially which is only right.[/p][/quote]bishbosh, can you enlighten me as to why you support greyhound racing? Also, you state to know what happened to all of your 4 racing dogs. Why do racing greyhound owners think it is totally acceptable to expect others to rehome their dogs once they have made their money out of them? Do you think that there is a never ending supply of homes just waiting to take your discarded dogs? Have you any idea how many are killed because of this industry and the lack of retirement homes? Do you ave any idea how hard the rescues work to take the discarded dogs and find them homes? You also seem to think that because you knew where your dogs went that makes you caring. Caring is looking after your dog until it's natural death and not putting it at risk of unnecessary injuries along the way or using it for monetary gain. Caring and racing are not words that I could ever put together. Come and visit my local rescue. Come and witness the despair that the lady who runs it is constantly in because of this industry. Come and see the state of the dogs when they arrive. I have tried so many times to "engage with those within the sport", but not one has been able to justify it, not one. pollypenny
  • Score: 3

4:27pm Tue 11 Mar 14

Walterwhippet says...

I am glad to hear your honesty that their are unscrupulous folk within the industry out for a quick buck ..
I regularly engage with pro racers in collecting dogs to go to independent rescues ..I agree there is variation in the standards of welfare applied however care for an animal does not include putting that animal at risk of serious injury on dangerously configured tracks
While you sound well intentioned Bishbosh ..if you cared for a dog how can you justify the risk of your dog being another Rotar Wing for example ??? Please don't tell me it's an isolated incident .. Not while the freezers at the stadiums are working as the GBGB rules require in the regs.. rule 110B (j)
I am glad to hear your honesty that their are unscrupulous folk within the industry out for a quick buck .. I regularly engage with pro racers in collecting dogs to go to independent rescues ..I agree there is variation in the standards of welfare applied however care for an animal does not include putting that animal at risk of serious injury on dangerously configured tracks While you sound well intentioned Bishbosh ..if you cared for a dog how can you justify the risk of your dog being another Rotar Wing for example ??? Please don't tell me it's an isolated incident .. Not while the freezers at the stadiums are working as the GBGB rules require in the regs.. rule 110B (j) Walterwhippet
  • Score: 3

5:45pm Tue 11 Mar 14

bishbosh says...

I can see you both care and deeply. Walter... not every greyhound is mistreated. Many love what they do as do the owners and trainers. You are extreme in your views and would want all to believe there is no good in Greyhound Racing. I will never share your view. Polly... I can read Wikipedia but thank you for the enlightenment.. The greyhound racing industry employs thousands. Today at Cheltenham a horse broke its back and was destroyed in front of thousands. That I take it is a reason to ban a multi billion pound sport worldwide..because that animal was being exploited. There is none so blind that cannot see both sides of the argument. I am happy to concede there are unscrupulous people within Greyhound Racing that need sorting out. I sensed your glee in pouncing upon that statement but the anti attitude does nothing to improve the situation. Banning racing is not the answer..
I can see you both care and deeply. Walter... not every greyhound is mistreated. Many love what they do as do the owners and trainers. You are extreme in your views and would want all to believe there is no good in Greyhound Racing. I will never share your view. Polly... I can read Wikipedia but thank you for the enlightenment.. The greyhound racing industry employs thousands. Today at Cheltenham a horse broke its back and was destroyed in front of thousands. That I take it is a reason to ban a multi billion pound sport worldwide..because that animal was being exploited. There is none so blind that cannot see both sides of the argument. I am happy to concede there are unscrupulous people within Greyhound Racing that need sorting out. I sensed your glee in pouncing upon that statement but the anti attitude does nothing to improve the situation. Banning racing is not the answer.. bishbosh
  • Score: -2

6:08pm Tue 11 Mar 14

pollypenny says...

bishbosh wrote:
I can see you both care and deeply. Walter... not every greyhound is mistreated. Many love what they do as do the owners and trainers. You are extreme in your views and would want all to believe there is no good in Greyhound Racing. I will never share your view. Polly... I can read Wikipedia but thank you for the enlightenment.. The greyhound racing industry employs thousands. Today at Cheltenham a horse broke its back and was destroyed in front of thousands. That I take it is a reason to ban a multi billion pound sport worldwide..because that animal was being exploited. There is none so blind that cannot see both sides of the argument. I am happy to concede there are unscrupulous people within Greyhound Racing that need sorting out. I sensed your glee in pouncing upon that statement but the anti attitude does nothing to improve the situation. Banning racing is not the answer..
bishbosh there is nothing 'extreme' about wanting no harm to come to animals, especially when it is for no other purpose than gambling and entertainment. Do you also think using animals in circuses is acceptable as long as they are 'looked after'?
You have not given me one valid reason for keeping greyhound (or horse racing) a legal sport, apart from money. Why on earth should money be a satisfactory reason for exploitation, injury, abandonment and death?
If you think nothing of a horse breaking it's back today for no other reason than for our entertainment and gambling desires, then you are never going to understand my views. Animals should not be ours to use and abuse, but clearly you believe they should be. You miss the point totally, as every pro racer I've ever discussed racing with has. You avoid all the important issues and simply choose not to answer any of the questions that I have put to you.
If banning racing is not the answer please tell me what is? And please be sure to cover all the following points in your answer - over breeding, injuries, what to do with non chasers and retired racers, drug abuse, 23 hours locked muzzled in kennels, the legal use of the captive bolt gun, self regulation of the GBGB and the IGB. I eagerly await your ideas on how all this can be resolved. Trust me, it can all be resolved by banning it, as they have in 28 states in the USA. Do you think those 28 states are all extremists too? I've often mused over how one person calls another 'extreme' because they desire compassion for sentient beings.
[quote][p][bold]bishbosh[/bold] wrote: I can see you both care and deeply. Walter... not every greyhound is mistreated. Many love what they do as do the owners and trainers. You are extreme in your views and would want all to believe there is no good in Greyhound Racing. I will never share your view. Polly... I can read Wikipedia but thank you for the enlightenment.. The greyhound racing industry employs thousands. Today at Cheltenham a horse broke its back and was destroyed in front of thousands. That I take it is a reason to ban a multi billion pound sport worldwide..because that animal was being exploited. There is none so blind that cannot see both sides of the argument. I am happy to concede there are unscrupulous people within Greyhound Racing that need sorting out. I sensed your glee in pouncing upon that statement but the anti attitude does nothing to improve the situation. Banning racing is not the answer..[/p][/quote]bishbosh there is nothing 'extreme' about wanting no harm to come to animals, especially when it is for no other purpose than gambling and entertainment. Do you also think using animals in circuses is acceptable as long as they are 'looked after'? You have not given me one valid reason for keeping greyhound (or horse racing) a legal sport, apart from money. Why on earth should money be a satisfactory reason for exploitation, injury, abandonment and death? If you think nothing of a horse breaking it's back today for no other reason than for our entertainment and gambling desires, then you are never going to understand my views. Animals should not be ours to use and abuse, but clearly you believe they should be. You miss the point totally, as every pro racer I've ever discussed racing with has. You avoid all the important issues and simply choose not to answer any of the questions that I have put to you. If banning racing is not the answer please tell me what is? And please be sure to cover all the following points in your answer - over breeding, injuries, what to do with non chasers and retired racers, drug abuse, 23 hours locked muzzled in kennels, the legal use of the captive bolt gun, self regulation of the GBGB and the IGB. I eagerly await your ideas on how all this can be resolved. Trust me, it can all be resolved by banning it, as they have in 28 states in the USA. Do you think those 28 states are all extremists too? I've often mused over how one person calls another 'extreme' because they desire compassion for sentient beings. pollypenny
  • Score: 3

7:03pm Tue 11 Mar 14

The Forgotten Greyhound. says...

A sad state of affairs when people look to make a profit from the anguish of the poor maligned forgotten greyhound.
A sad state of affairs when people look to make a profit from the anguish of the poor maligned forgotten greyhound. The Forgotten Greyhound.
  • Score: 5

9:07pm Tue 11 Mar 14

pollypenny says...

I'd like to add a correction to my previous statement about there being 28 states in the USA that have to date banned greyhound racing. This figure should have read 38, not 28. However, I have just received the wonderful news that Colorado have now also banned greyhound racing, making the latest figure 39.
That's 39 states of America that have 'extreme' views according to bishbosh. I prefer to think of them as extremely compassionate. Well done Colorado!
I'd like to add a correction to my previous statement about there being 28 states in the USA that have to date banned greyhound racing. This figure should have read 38, not 28. However, I have just received the wonderful news that Colorado have now also banned greyhound racing, making the latest figure 39. That's 39 states of America that have 'extreme' views according to bishbosh. I prefer to think of them as extremely compassionate. Well done Colorado! pollypenny
  • Score: 1

11:36pm Tue 11 Mar 14

Walterwhippet says...

I see you fail to answer the questions put to you by myself and Pollypenny Bish Bosh .. I refer you again as to how do you justify the risk of injury and death on a track if you care as you profess for these dogs ??
The term anti is appropriate btw yes I'm anti.. anti cruelty .. Must leave you now have some interesting bedtime reading ..the Deloitte Report findings oh and must raise a glass to the 39 USA states obviously filled with extremists :)
Lets hope Oxford decision makers also have the good sense to invest in much needed housing rather than some half baked desperate plan to prop up this dying industry at the cost of more dogs lives and local people's housing ..
I see you fail to answer the questions put to you by myself and Pollypenny Bish Bosh .. I refer you again as to how do you justify the risk of injury and death on a track if you care as you profess for these dogs ?? The term anti is appropriate btw yes I'm anti.. anti cruelty .. Must leave you now have some interesting bedtime reading ..the Deloitte Report findings oh and must raise a glass to the 39 USA states obviously filled with extremists :) Lets hope Oxford decision makers also have the good sense to invest in much needed housing rather than some half baked desperate plan to prop up this dying industry at the cost of more dogs lives and local people's housing .. Walterwhippet
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree