Landlord fined for failing to maintain property

The prosecution was brought by Oxford City Council

The prosecution was brought by Oxford City Council

First published in News

A LANDLORD has been fined £6,000 for renting out a poorly maintained house that did not have a working smoke alarm.

Oxford City Council prosecuted William Edwards for failing to maintain his property in Dene Road, Headington, after an inspection last June.

Council spokeswoman Louisa Dean said staff using a warrant discovered that the smoke alarm in the kitchen was not working, there was no handrail on the staircase, there was a broken light fitting to the staircase which had no bulb and rotten windows in the bathroom and bedroom.

There was also no sign displayed within the house giving the manager’s name and contact details, which is required under HMO rules, and a copy of the electrical installation or gas safety certificate had not been received by the council.

All of these were violations of the Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation (England) Regulations 2006. The house had tenants at the time.

Edwards, of Lytton Road, Florence Park, did not attend the hearing at Oxford Magistrates’ Court on Monday, March 17.

He was fined £1,000 for failing to licence a HMO, £500 for each defect relating to the property which totalled £5,000, a £100 victim surcharge and £350 costs.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree