Update: Park End Street roadworks causing huge delays across city and western routes in to Oxford

The Oxford Times: Traffic in central Oxford this morning Traffic in central Oxford this morning

TRAFFIC delays are mounting this morning due to the closure of Park End Street in Oxford while repair work is carried out on a collapsed sewer.

There are estimates of it taking an extra 15 minutes to travel into the city along Botley Road this morning, and the entire length of Abingdon Road is reported to be slow.

Traffic is also queueing on the A34 both ways at the Botley interchange and at Hinksey Hill.

Traffic is heavy in Beaumont Street, Worcester Street, Botley Road, and all the way back to Eynsham Road in Dean Court.

Oxford Bus Company tweeted: "We are experiencing severe delays on all City services due to roadworks in the city and the A34 being heavily congested Oxford bound."

Stagecoach added: "There are major delays on most routes especially S1 and X30."

Bus passenger Dylan Williams said his half hour journey had taken an hour so far this morning.

Park End Street, at its junction with Hollybush Row, will be closed for the next two weeks while Thames Water repair a partially collapsed sewer. The collapse has been caused by a 'fatberg' a combined mass of fat and other items that have been flushed down the drains and sewers.

Traffic will be diverted along Hythe Bridge Street.

Oxford Bus Company tweeted: “Due to the roadworks in Park End Street, our City services operating in the area are now on diversion.”

Oxfordshire County Council last week warned commuters to expect delays of up to 45 minutes this morning.

Comments (38)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:22am Mon 7 Apr 14

HomerSimpsonDoh says...

Which idiot on the Council decided to put bus stops outside the Said business school??????? It is causing chaos.......typical Council don't give a stuff about anyone except the bus companies.
Which idiot on the Council decided to put bus stops outside the Said business school??????? It is causing chaos.......typical Council don't give a stuff about anyone except the bus companies. HomerSimpsonDoh
  • Score: 7

10:18am Mon 7 Apr 14

Major Rhode-Werks says...

Can't wait for the redevelopment of Frideswide Square/station area!!!
Can't wait for the redevelopment of Frideswide Square/station area!!! Major Rhode-Werks
  • Score: 13

11:01am Mon 7 Apr 14

Furyan says...

lift high street restrictions to ease traffic flow. it's not that difficult
lift high street restrictions to ease traffic flow. it's not that difficult Furyan
  • Score: 6

11:51am Mon 7 Apr 14

Major Rhode-Werks says...

Furyan wrote:
lift high street restrictions to ease traffic flow. it's not that difficult
But that could help the motorist - whatever are you thinking about!!!
[quote][p][bold]Furyan[/bold] wrote: lift high street restrictions to ease traffic flow. it's not that difficult[/p][/quote]But that could help the motorist - whatever are you thinking about!!! Major Rhode-Werks
  • Score: 6

12:19pm Mon 7 Apr 14

King Joke says...

HomerSimpsonDoh wrote:
Which idiot on the Council decided to put bus stops outside the Said business school??????? It is causing chaos.......typical Council don't give a stuff about anyone except the bus companies.
Has it occurred to you that bus passengers need to use these stops?
[quote][p][bold]HomerSimpsonDoh[/bold] wrote: Which idiot on the Council decided to put bus stops outside the Said business school??????? It is causing chaos.......typical Council don't give a stuff about anyone except the bus companies.[/p][/quote]Has it occurred to you that bus passengers need to use these stops? King Joke
  • Score: 2

12:21pm Mon 7 Apr 14

King Joke says...

Furyan wrote:
lift high street restrictions to ease traffic flow. it's not that difficult
Ah, the bus network is half strangled by the roadworks, so your solution is to strangle the other half. Nice one.

As anyone who visited Oxford in the 90s will tell you, traffic on the High Street when it was a through route was far from 'eased', it was stationary much of the time.
[quote][p][bold]Furyan[/bold] wrote: lift high street restrictions to ease traffic flow. it's not that difficult[/p][/quote]Ah, the bus network is half strangled by the roadworks, so your solution is to strangle the other half. Nice one. As anyone who visited Oxford in the 90s will tell you, traffic on the High Street when it was a through route was far from 'eased', it was stationary much of the time. King Joke
  • Score: 4

12:21pm Mon 7 Apr 14

King Joke says...

Furyan wrote:
lift high street restrictions to ease traffic flow. it's not that difficult
Ah, the bus network is half strangled by the roadworks, so your solution is to strangle the other half. Nice one.

As anyone who visited Oxford in the 90s will tell you, traffic on the High Street when it was a through route was far from 'eased', it was stationary much of the time.
[quote][p][bold]Furyan[/bold] wrote: lift high street restrictions to ease traffic flow. it's not that difficult[/p][/quote]Ah, the bus network is half strangled by the roadworks, so your solution is to strangle the other half. Nice one. As anyone who visited Oxford in the 90s will tell you, traffic on the High Street when it was a through route was far from 'eased', it was stationary much of the time. King Joke
  • Score: 1

12:21pm Mon 7 Apr 14

King Joke says...

Furyan wrote:
lift high street restrictions to ease traffic flow. it's not that difficult
Ah, the bus network is half strangled by the roadworks, so your solution is to strangle the other half. Nice one.

As anyone who visited Oxford in the 90s will tell you, traffic on the High Street when it was a through route was far from 'eased', it was stationary much of the time.
[quote][p][bold]Furyan[/bold] wrote: lift high street restrictions to ease traffic flow. it's not that difficult[/p][/quote]Ah, the bus network is half strangled by the roadworks, so your solution is to strangle the other half. Nice one. As anyone who visited Oxford in the 90s will tell you, traffic on the High Street when it was a through route was far from 'eased', it was stationary much of the time. King Joke
  • Score: -2

12:22pm Mon 7 Apr 14

King Joke says...

Furyan wrote:
lift high street restrictions to ease traffic flow. it's not that difficult
Ah, the bus network is half strangled by the roadworks, so your solution is to strangle the other half. Nice one.

As anyone who visited Oxford in the 90s will tell you, traffic on the High Street when it was a through route was far from 'eased', it was stationary much of the time.
[quote][p][bold]Furyan[/bold] wrote: lift high street restrictions to ease traffic flow. it's not that difficult[/p][/quote]Ah, the bus network is half strangled by the roadworks, so your solution is to strangle the other half. Nice one. As anyone who visited Oxford in the 90s will tell you, traffic on the High Street when it was a through route was far from 'eased', it was stationary much of the time. King Joke
  • Score: 1

12:22pm Mon 7 Apr 14

King Joke says...

Furyan wrote:
lift high street restrictions to ease traffic flow. it's not that difficult
Ah, the bus network is half strangled by the roadworks, so your solution is to strangle the other half. Nice one.

As anyone who visited Oxford in the 90s will tell you, traffic on the High Street when it was a through route was far from 'eased', it was stationary much of the time.
[quote][p][bold]Furyan[/bold] wrote: lift high street restrictions to ease traffic flow. it's not that difficult[/p][/quote]Ah, the bus network is half strangled by the roadworks, so your solution is to strangle the other half. Nice one. As anyone who visited Oxford in the 90s will tell you, traffic on the High Street when it was a through route was far from 'eased', it was stationary much of the time. King Joke
  • Score: -2

12:49pm Mon 7 Apr 14

HomerSimpsonDoh says...

King Joke wrote:
HomerSimpsonDoh wrote:
Which idiot on the Council decided to put bus stops outside the Said business school??????? It is causing chaos.......typical Council don't give a stuff about anyone except the bus companies.
Has it occurred to you that bus passengers need to use these stops?
Yes, put the bus stops in the train station, not on a main through route!
[quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HomerSimpsonDoh[/bold] wrote: Which idiot on the Council decided to put bus stops outside the Said business school??????? It is causing chaos.......typical Council don't give a stuff about anyone except the bus companies.[/p][/quote]Has it occurred to you that bus passengers need to use these stops?[/p][/quote]Yes, put the bus stops in the train station, not on a main through route! HomerSimpsonDoh
  • Score: 11

1:29pm Mon 7 Apr 14

Whitto says...

That photo is clearly taken from the drivers seat of a vehicle. It's an offence to use such a device whilst in control of a motor vehicle - I hope the Oxford Mail has done it's civic duty and passed the details to the Police.

Even worse if it is an employee they should be disciplined and then the details should be passed to the Police...
That photo is clearly taken from the drivers seat of a vehicle. It's an offence to use such a device whilst in control of a motor vehicle - I hope the Oxford Mail has done it's civic duty and passed the details to the Police. Even worse if it is an employee they should be disciplined and then the details should be passed to the Police... Whitto
  • Score: -1

1:35pm Mon 7 Apr 14

Whitto says...

On a serious note, why can't all the buses go into the Station area and not block the traffic in the square?
On a serious note, why can't all the buses go into the Station area and not block the traffic in the square? Whitto
  • Score: 2

1:37pm Mon 7 Apr 14

olafpalme says...

Motoring citizens of Oxford take note. You too can whiz past the growing congestion that will only get worse. On yer bike!
Motoring citizens of Oxford take note. You too can whiz past the growing congestion that will only get worse. On yer bike! olafpalme
  • Score: 14

2:16pm Mon 7 Apr 14

Oxonian says...

These hold-ups show just what congestion occurs when traffic is forced into such roads as Walton Street because St Giles is crammed. If St Giles is closed to traffic, as our clever councillors propose, it will create exactly the same congestion.

Our councillors should remember that the best thing to do with traffic is to keep it moving smoothly, not put numerous obstacles in its way.
These hold-ups show just what congestion occurs when traffic is forced into such roads as Walton Street because St Giles is crammed. If St Giles is closed to traffic, as our clever councillors propose, it will create exactly the same congestion. Our councillors should remember that the best thing to do with traffic is to keep it moving smoothly, not put numerous obstacles in its way. Oxonian
  • Score: 4

2:32pm Mon 7 Apr 14

King Joke says...

Whitto wrote:
On a serious note, why can't all the buses go into the Station area and not block the traffic in the square?
It would take even longer then! Bus passengers have lives to lead too you know.
[quote][p][bold]Whitto[/bold] wrote: On a serious note, why can't all the buses go into the Station area and not block the traffic in the square?[/p][/quote]It would take even longer then! Bus passengers have lives to lead too you know. King Joke
  • Score: -2

2:33pm Mon 7 Apr 14

King Joke says...

Oxonian wrote:
These hold-ups show just what congestion occurs when traffic is forced into such roads as Walton Street because St Giles is crammed. If St Giles is closed to traffic, as our clever councillors propose, it will create exactly the same congestion.

Our councillors should remember that the best thing to do with traffic is to keep it moving smoothly, not put numerous obstacles in its way.
The Hudspeth plan could only work if Walton St were closed as well. I don't think he's realised this yet.
[quote][p][bold]Oxonian[/bold] wrote: These hold-ups show just what congestion occurs when traffic is forced into such roads as Walton Street because St Giles is crammed. If St Giles is closed to traffic, as our clever councillors propose, it will create exactly the same congestion. Our councillors should remember that the best thing to do with traffic is to keep it moving smoothly, not put numerous obstacles in its way.[/p][/quote]The Hudspeth plan could only work if Walton St were closed as well. I don't think he's realised this yet. King Joke
  • Score: 1

2:46pm Mon 7 Apr 14

RedDragon9621 says...

The traffic in Oxford was terrible today. Speaking to one UPS driver, he was 2 hours behind due to the traffic. 15 minute delay on the Botley Road, another April Fool joke. Yes they should have put the bus stops in the train station and yes they should open the High Street. This will help the traffic run and not have drivers wait about. Oh, wait that's what Oxford is all about, anti-car. And other thing. Walton Street will be closed due to a collapse in the road near the lights outside Worcester College.
The traffic in Oxford was terrible today. Speaking to one UPS driver, he was 2 hours behind due to the traffic. 15 minute delay on the Botley Road, another April Fool joke. Yes they should have put the bus stops in the train station and yes they should open the High Street. This will help the traffic run and not have drivers wait about. Oh, wait that's what Oxford is all about, anti-car. And other thing. Walton Street will be closed due to a collapse in the road near the lights outside Worcester College. RedDragon9621
  • Score: 3

2:51pm Mon 7 Apr 14

Whitto says...

King Joke wrote:
Whitto wrote:
On a serious note, why can't all the buses go into the Station area and not block the traffic in the square?
It would take even longer then! Bus passengers have lives to lead too you know.
But they should also share the pain of the roadworks instead of causing more problems - we're all in this together remember - and they have already had/ express treatment down Botley Rd in the Bus Lane...
[quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Whitto[/bold] wrote: On a serious note, why can't all the buses go into the Station area and not block the traffic in the square?[/p][/quote]It would take even longer then! Bus passengers have lives to lead too you know.[/p][/quote]But they should also share the pain of the roadworks instead of causing more problems - we're all in this together remember - and they have already had/ express treatment down Botley Rd in the Bus Lane... Whitto
  • Score: 1

2:51pm Mon 7 Apr 14

cmfoster2013 says...

Hi, its an absolute joke it took me 2 hours to go to Wellington Square from Osney Mead this morning & to get back, its stupid!
Hi, its an absolute joke it took me 2 hours to go to Wellington Square from Osney Mead this morning & to get back, its stupid! cmfoster2013
  • Score: 3

4:07pm Mon 7 Apr 14

olafpalme says...

Oxonian wrote:
These hold-ups show just what congestion occurs when traffic is forced into such roads as Walton Street because St Giles is crammed. If St Giles is closed to traffic, as our clever councillors propose, it will create exactly the same congestion.

Our councillors should remember that the best thing to do with traffic is to keep it moving smoothly, not put numerous obstacles in its way.
Exactly wrong. We are reaching `peak car'. There is no room for any more cars.
The ONLY thing you can do is make way for bikes and strategic public transport.
[quote][p][bold]Oxonian[/bold] wrote: These hold-ups show just what congestion occurs when traffic is forced into such roads as Walton Street because St Giles is crammed. If St Giles is closed to traffic, as our clever councillors propose, it will create exactly the same congestion. Our councillors should remember that the best thing to do with traffic is to keep it moving smoothly, not put numerous obstacles in its way.[/p][/quote]Exactly wrong. We are reaching `peak car'. There is no room for any more cars. The ONLY thing you can do is make way for bikes and strategic public transport. olafpalme
  • Score: 9

4:12pm Mon 7 Apr 14

King Joke says...

Whitto wrote:
King Joke wrote:
Whitto wrote:
On a serious note, why can't all the buses go into the Station area and not block the traffic in the square?
It would take even longer then! Bus passengers have lives to lead too you know.
But they should also share the pain of the roadworks instead of causing more problems - we're all in this together remember - and they have already had/ express treatment down Botley Rd in the Bus Lane...
In any sane world the people who are doing the right thing by taking up 1/20th of the road space per person (that's bus passengers in case you hadn't figured it out) would be made to share as little of the pain as possible.
[quote][p][bold]Whitto[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Whitto[/bold] wrote: On a serious note, why can't all the buses go into the Station area and not block the traffic in the square?[/p][/quote]It would take even longer then! Bus passengers have lives to lead too you know.[/p][/quote]But they should also share the pain of the roadworks instead of causing more problems - we're all in this together remember - and they have already had/ express treatment down Botley Rd in the Bus Lane...[/p][/quote]In any sane world the people who are doing the right thing by taking up 1/20th of the road space per person (that's bus passengers in case you hadn't figured it out) would be made to share as little of the pain as possible. King Joke
  • Score: 3

4:20pm Mon 7 Apr 14

Oxonian says...

olafpalme wrote:
Oxonian wrote:
These hold-ups show just what congestion occurs when traffic is forced into such roads as Walton Street because St Giles is crammed. If St Giles is closed to traffic, as our clever councillors propose, it will create exactly the same congestion.

Our councillors should remember that the best thing to do with traffic is to keep it moving smoothly, not put numerous obstacles in its way.
Exactly wrong. We are reaching `peak car'. There is no room for any more cars.
The ONLY thing you can do is make way for bikes and strategic public transport.
People need to get into and through Oxford and they can't all use bikes or public transport. What about the elderly and disabled, who you seem to ignore? Many of them cannot use public transport because it does not go near enough from their homes or to their destination. And they certainly can't cycle (my last attempt at cycling ended with my falling off the bike and strongly hurting my hip!).
[quote][p][bold]olafpalme[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oxonian[/bold] wrote: These hold-ups show just what congestion occurs when traffic is forced into such roads as Walton Street because St Giles is crammed. If St Giles is closed to traffic, as our clever councillors propose, it will create exactly the same congestion. Our councillors should remember that the best thing to do with traffic is to keep it moving smoothly, not put numerous obstacles in its way.[/p][/quote]Exactly wrong. We are reaching `peak car'. There is no room for any more cars. The ONLY thing you can do is make way for bikes and strategic public transport.[/p][/quote]People need to get into and through Oxford and they can't all use bikes or public transport. What about the elderly and disabled, who you seem to ignore? Many of them cannot use public transport because it does not go near enough from their homes or to their destination. And they certainly can't cycle (my last attempt at cycling ended with my falling off the bike and strongly hurting my hip!). Oxonian
  • Score: 2

4:27pm Mon 7 Apr 14

Isawyoucoming says...

Went into dentists this morning came out fifteen minutes later the traffic had not moved. this system in place is clearly not working.
Went into dentists this morning came out fifteen minutes later the traffic had not moved. this system in place is clearly not working. Isawyoucoming
  • Score: 4

4:31pm Mon 7 Apr 14

King Joke says...

Oxonian wrote:
olafpalme wrote:
Oxonian wrote:
These hold-ups show just what congestion occurs when traffic is forced into such roads as Walton Street because St Giles is crammed. If St Giles is closed to traffic, as our clever councillors propose, it will create exactly the same congestion.

Our councillors should remember that the best thing to do with traffic is to keep it moving smoothly, not put numerous obstacles in its way.
Exactly wrong. We are reaching `peak car'. There is no room for any more cars.
The ONLY thing you can do is make way for bikes and strategic public transport.
People need to get into and through Oxford and they can't all use bikes or public transport. What about the elderly and disabled, who you seem to ignore? Many of them cannot use public transport because it does not go near enough from their homes or to their destination. And they certainly can't cycle (my last attempt at cycling ended with my falling off the bike and strongly hurting my hip!).
If we've got to a point where in order for the elderly and infirm to move around they are expected to invest £7k pa (AA or RAC figures) in a metal box then we're in a very bad place.

Oxford's bus fleet has been fully accessible for several years and the dial-a-ride system is there for those who aren't on a frequent route.

Before however we get into a 'I couldn't possibly get a bus' argument, note the number of singly-occupied cars occupied by able-bodied young and middle-aged people in the jams today. THere is clearly a large opportunity for modal shift.
[quote][p][bold]Oxonian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]olafpalme[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oxonian[/bold] wrote: These hold-ups show just what congestion occurs when traffic is forced into such roads as Walton Street because St Giles is crammed. If St Giles is closed to traffic, as our clever councillors propose, it will create exactly the same congestion. Our councillors should remember that the best thing to do with traffic is to keep it moving smoothly, not put numerous obstacles in its way.[/p][/quote]Exactly wrong. We are reaching `peak car'. There is no room for any more cars. The ONLY thing you can do is make way for bikes and strategic public transport.[/p][/quote]People need to get into and through Oxford and they can't all use bikes or public transport. What about the elderly and disabled, who you seem to ignore? Many of them cannot use public transport because it does not go near enough from their homes or to their destination. And they certainly can't cycle (my last attempt at cycling ended with my falling off the bike and strongly hurting my hip!).[/p][/quote]If we've got to a point where in order for the elderly and infirm to move around they are expected to invest £7k pa (AA or RAC figures) in a metal box then we're in a very bad place. Oxford's bus fleet has been fully accessible for several years and the dial-a-ride system is there for those who aren't on a frequent route. Before however we get into a 'I couldn't possibly get a bus' argument, note the number of singly-occupied cars occupied by able-bodied young and middle-aged people in the jams today. THere is clearly a large opportunity for modal shift. King Joke
  • Score: -1

5:46pm Mon 7 Apr 14

Furyan says...

King Joke wrote:
Furyan wrote:
lift high street restrictions to ease traffic flow. it's not that difficult
Ah, the bus network is half strangled by the roadworks, so your solution is to strangle the other half. Nice one.

As anyone who visited Oxford in the 90s will tell you, traffic on the High Street when it was a through route was far from 'eased', it was stationary much of the time.
wow, 4 duplicate replies. Creating your own little traffic jam on here.
You visited Oxford in the 90's? Cool, you little rebel you.

Lifting high street restrictions is normal practise these days. All you need is a couple of days continuos rain and Botley-Abingdon road to flood.
Happy days.....
[quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Furyan[/bold] wrote: lift high street restrictions to ease traffic flow. it's not that difficult[/p][/quote]Ah, the bus network is half strangled by the roadworks, so your solution is to strangle the other half. Nice one. As anyone who visited Oxford in the 90s will tell you, traffic on the High Street when it was a through route was far from 'eased', it was stationary much of the time.[/p][/quote]wow, 4 duplicate replies. Creating your own little traffic jam on here. You visited Oxford in the 90's? Cool, you little rebel you. Lifting high street restrictions is normal practise these days. All you need is a couple of days continuos rain and Botley-Abingdon road to flood. Happy days..... Furyan
  • Score: 0

7:51pm Mon 7 Apr 14

The Foxy Lady says...

If you only travelled for all essential journeys and cut out the popping out in the car for the sake of it brigade. Would equal less traffic.
If you only travelled for all essential journeys and cut out the popping out in the car for the sake of it brigade. Would equal less traffic. The Foxy Lady
  • Score: 1

9:21pm Mon 7 Apr 14

Oxonian says...

King Joke wrote:
Oxonian wrote:
olafpalme wrote:
Oxonian wrote:
These hold-ups show just what congestion occurs when traffic is forced into such roads as Walton Street because St Giles is crammed. If St Giles is closed to traffic, as our clever councillors propose, it will create exactly the same congestion.

Our councillors should remember that the best thing to do with traffic is to keep it moving smoothly, not put numerous obstacles in its way.
Exactly wrong. We are reaching `peak car'. There is no room for any more cars.
The ONLY thing you can do is make way for bikes and strategic public transport.
People need to get into and through Oxford and they can't all use bikes or public transport. What about the elderly and disabled, who you seem to ignore? Many of them cannot use public transport because it does not go near enough from their homes or to their destination. And they certainly can't cycle (my last attempt at cycling ended with my falling off the bike and strongly hurting my hip!).
If we've got to a point where in order for the elderly and infirm to move around they are expected to invest £7k pa (AA or RAC figures) in a metal box then we're in a very bad place.

Oxford's bus fleet has been fully accessible for several years and the dial-a-ride system is there for those who aren't on a frequent route.

Before however we get into a 'I couldn't possibly get a bus' argument, note the number of singly-occupied cars occupied by able-bodied young and middle-aged people in the jams today. THere is clearly a large opportunity for modal shift.
Oxford's Dial-a-ride is not available to those who have their own transport, so disabled people with cars will be expected to use them. Also the facility has its limitations: in my area it is only available on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays between 9am and 5pm, with a limited number of drop-off points.

Even if you are not disabled, you may need a car to get you from one place to another if they are not served by public transport.
[quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oxonian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]olafpalme[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oxonian[/bold] wrote: These hold-ups show just what congestion occurs when traffic is forced into such roads as Walton Street because St Giles is crammed. If St Giles is closed to traffic, as our clever councillors propose, it will create exactly the same congestion. Our councillors should remember that the best thing to do with traffic is to keep it moving smoothly, not put numerous obstacles in its way.[/p][/quote]Exactly wrong. We are reaching `peak car'. There is no room for any more cars. The ONLY thing you can do is make way for bikes and strategic public transport.[/p][/quote]People need to get into and through Oxford and they can't all use bikes or public transport. What about the elderly and disabled, who you seem to ignore? Many of them cannot use public transport because it does not go near enough from their homes or to their destination. And they certainly can't cycle (my last attempt at cycling ended with my falling off the bike and strongly hurting my hip!).[/p][/quote]If we've got to a point where in order for the elderly and infirm to move around they are expected to invest £7k pa (AA or RAC figures) in a metal box then we're in a very bad place. Oxford's bus fleet has been fully accessible for several years and the dial-a-ride system is there for those who aren't on a frequent route. Before however we get into a 'I couldn't possibly get a bus' argument, note the number of singly-occupied cars occupied by able-bodied young and middle-aged people in the jams today. THere is clearly a large opportunity for modal shift.[/p][/quote]Oxford's Dial-a-ride is not available to those who have their own transport, so disabled people with cars will be expected to use them. Also the facility has its limitations: in my area it is only available on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays between 9am and 5pm, with a limited number of drop-off points. Even if you are not disabled, you may need a car to get you from one place to another if they are not served by public transport. Oxonian
  • Score: 2

8:09am Tue 8 Apr 14

King Joke says...

What happens to people too elderly or disabled to drive? Or maybe don't want to spend several £k a year for a shopping trip every week or two? These people will be getting the bus. THese people have not been forgotten at all.
What happens to people too elderly or disabled to drive? Or maybe don't want to spend several £k a year for a shopping trip every week or two? These people will be getting the bus. THese people have not been forgotten at all. King Joke
  • Score: -2

8:23am Tue 8 Apr 14

fiserable muck says...

Reading a lot of these comments have made me ashamed to call myself human, what planet do you all live on???
The reason there is rubbish traffic in Oxford is because there are too many lazy people who cannot be bothered to walk to the bus stop or jump on a bike or walk. These same people are probably adding to the obesity problem this country has and these same people probably moan that the buses are too expensive whilst their cars sit pumping fuel in standstill traffic.
You people have been given lots of notice about these road works but instead of making different arrangements you just sit there and moan.
My point is proved by the person moaning about it taking two hours to drive from osney mead to wellington square... it a ten min walk, how lazy can you get. I could maybe understand if it was 0 degrees outside but it's not so stop being lazy.

As for the train station, did any of you see how badly affected the buses and taxi's were getting in and out of the station? And that was with less traffic than usual. So lets get all the buses to turn round there and make access to the station impossible.

Lastly, cheer up taxi drivers. It was your choice to take a job that puts you at the mercy of traffic so stop moaning about it. Also parking in the middle of the road to pick people up and block roads further is not "your right".
Reading a lot of these comments have made me ashamed to call myself human, what planet do you all live on??? The reason there is rubbish traffic in Oxford is because there are too many lazy people who cannot be bothered to walk to the bus stop or jump on a bike or walk. These same people are probably adding to the obesity problem this country has and these same people probably moan that the buses are too expensive whilst their cars sit pumping fuel in standstill traffic. You people have been given lots of notice about these road works but instead of making different arrangements you just sit there and moan. My point is proved by the person moaning about it taking two hours to drive from osney mead to wellington square... it a ten min walk, how lazy can you get. I could maybe understand if it was 0 degrees outside but it's not so stop being lazy. As for the train station, did any of you see how badly affected the buses and taxi's were getting in and out of the station? And that was with less traffic than usual. So lets get all the buses to turn round there and make access to the station impossible. Lastly, cheer up taxi drivers. It was your choice to take a job that puts you at the mercy of traffic so stop moaning about it. Also parking in the middle of the road to pick people up and block roads further is not "your right". fiserable muck
  • Score: 6

8:26am Tue 8 Apr 14

fiserable muck says...

Lets remember who's responsible for this, the idiots who flush baby wipes and pour fat down the sink so lets give the council a break for once.
Lets remember who's responsible for this, the idiots who flush baby wipes and pour fat down the sink so lets give the council a break for once. fiserable muck
  • Score: 8

8:28am Tue 8 Apr 14

King Joke says...

Taxi drivers do an important job covering for the small number of journeys the bus doesn't cover, but in the main you're right. This event was advised well in advance. The chap going from from Wellington Sq to Osney was a courier, but he could have left his van somewhere and done the journeys through the affected area on foot.

I have got to go to the station tomorrow but as I am able to plan forward, I have made alternative arrangements to what I'd normally do in order to get there.
Taxi drivers do an important job covering for the small number of journeys the bus doesn't cover, but in the main you're right. This event was advised well in advance. The chap going from from Wellington Sq to Osney was a courier, but he could have left his van somewhere and done the journeys through the affected area on foot. I have got to go to the station tomorrow but as I am able to plan forward, I have made alternative arrangements to what I'd normally do in order to get there. King Joke
  • Score: 3

10:45am Tue 8 Apr 14

Oxonian says...

King Joke wrote:
What happens to people too elderly or disabled to drive? Or maybe don't want to spend several £k a year for a shopping trip every week or two? These people will be getting the bus. THese people have not been forgotten at all.
You still don't get it, do you? Some disabled people can't get onto buses, and buses can't always take them where they want to go. In these cases, disabled and the elderly may need someone to drive them in a car, which is why it is important to have as much access for cars as possible - and also for ambulances, fire engines, etc.
[quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: What happens to people too elderly or disabled to drive? Or maybe don't want to spend several £k a year for a shopping trip every week or two? These people will be getting the bus. THese people have not been forgotten at all.[/p][/quote]You still don't get it, do you? Some disabled people can't get onto buses, and buses can't always take them where they want to go. In these cases, disabled and the elderly may need someone to drive them in a car, which is why it is important to have as much access for cars as possible - and also for ambulances, fire engines, etc. Oxonian
  • Score: 0

10:51am Tue 8 Apr 14

Oxonian says...

fiserable muck (what an appropriate nickname!),

You criticise "the person moaning about it taking two hours to drive from osney mead to wellington square... it a ten min walk, how lazy can you get."

Had it not occurred to you that this person might be carrying luggage or stuff for delivery for which he or she needed a car?
fiserable muck (what an appropriate nickname!), You criticise "the person moaning about it taking two hours to drive from osney mead to wellington square... it a ten min walk, how lazy can you get." Had it not occurred to you that this person might be carrying luggage or stuff for delivery for which he or she needed a car? Oxonian
  • Score: 1

11:03am Tue 8 Apr 14

fiserable muck says...

there are always exceptions oxonian but I reckon that only applies to 10-20% of the cars/vans
there are always exceptions oxonian but I reckon that only applies to 10-20% of the cars/vans fiserable muck
  • Score: 2

11:23am Tue 8 Apr 14

King Joke says...

Oxonian wrote:
King Joke wrote:
What happens to people too elderly or disabled to drive? Or maybe don't want to spend several £k a year for a shopping trip every week or two? These people will be getting the bus. THese people have not been forgotten at all.
You still don't get it, do you? Some disabled people can't get onto buses, and buses can't always take them where they want to go. In these cases, disabled and the elderly may need someone to drive them in a car, which is why it is important to have as much access for cars as possible - and also for ambulances, fire engines, etc.
You just don't get it do you? Plenty of disabled and elderly people don't have a car. 'As much access for cars as possible' just encourages everyone that has one to use it all the time, which helps no-one, essential car users included, and certainly not those unable to use one.
[quote][p][bold]Oxonian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]King Joke[/bold] wrote: What happens to people too elderly or disabled to drive? Or maybe don't want to spend several £k a year for a shopping trip every week or two? These people will be getting the bus. THese people have not been forgotten at all.[/p][/quote]You still don't get it, do you? Some disabled people can't get onto buses, and buses can't always take them where they want to go. In these cases, disabled and the elderly may need someone to drive them in a car, which is why it is important to have as much access for cars as possible - and also for ambulances, fire engines, etc.[/p][/quote]You just don't get it do you? Plenty of disabled and elderly people don't have a car. 'As much access for cars as possible' just encourages everyone that has one to use it all the time, which helps no-one, essential car users included, and certainly not those unable to use one. King Joke
  • Score: -3

10:17am Wed 9 Apr 14

The New Private Eye says...

All users of the road pay to use it, and has such have an equal right. This congestion has been created by the bus companies pressurising the county council for the 9 needless sets of lights. All it needed was for the buses to divert round the Oxpens this would have left the station and George Street junctions free of these temporary lights, with no inconvenience to bus passengers, and no gridlock for all other road users. The fact that the bus companies have now started to take the diversion I suggested, and have had to totally stop the No5 service to the rail station proves my point. The No5 not going to the station is a major inconvenience for commuters, and just the kind that you say that the current system is avoiding. The simple answer is to leave road planning to the experts, and NOT to interested parties in pursuit of massive profits off of the back of the general public.
All users of the road pay to use it, and has such have an equal right. This congestion has been created by the bus companies pressurising the county council for the 9 needless sets of lights. All it needed was for the buses to divert round the Oxpens this would have left the station and George Street junctions free of these temporary lights, with no inconvenience to bus passengers, and no gridlock for all other road users. The fact that the bus companies have now started to take the diversion I suggested, and have had to totally stop the No5 service to the rail station proves my point. The No5 not going to the station is a major inconvenience for commuters, and just the kind that you say that the current system is avoiding. The simple answer is to leave road planning to the experts, and NOT to interested parties in pursuit of massive profits off of the back of the general public. The New Private Eye
  • Score: 1

10:59pm Wed 9 Apr 14

gans shakes says...

As a disabled man that uses a mobility scooter it is impossible for me to take a bus due to the limited space for entry and departure. It would be great for buses to be able to take the buses for long-distance rides. I would enjoy a day trip to Witney or Milton Keynes, as their shopping has a far better selection and is equipped for the consideration of the Disabled.

However, since we are contending with an old city that does not have the space to take on motor vehicles in higher volumes. Alternatives are limited.
As a disabled man that uses a mobility scooter it is impossible for me to take a bus due to the limited space for entry and departure. It would be great for buses to be able to take the buses for long-distance rides. I would enjoy a day trip to Witney or Milton Keynes, as their shopping has a far better selection and is equipped for the consideration of the Disabled. However, since we are contending with an old city that does not have the space to take on motor vehicles in higher volumes. Alternatives are limited. gans shakes
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree