TWO months since losing her mum to cancer, Aileen Mothersill is channelling her grief into helping others.
The Witney trainee teacher, 23, will join more than 800 people at the 10th annual Blenheim Pink Ribbonwalk on Saturday, May 10.
Entrants dress in pink for the 10 or 20-mile course around Blenheim Palace, Woodstock and surrounding villages for Breast Cancer Care.
The Oxford Brookes student lost mother Anner Mothersill, of Maldon, Essex, on February 21 aged 53.
Her mother, a primary school teaching assistant, beat the disease in 2011 but secondary cancer was found in her liver.
She said: “I got a call to get there quick and was able to hold her hand, but she slipped away just three days after the cancer was discovered.
“Everyone who knew mum was utterly devastated for her, and the weeks since have been terrible.
“The day I returned from Essex to Witney I arrived home to find an advert for the Pink Ribbonwalk on top of my post.
“I picked it up, saw it was happening on the day before what would have been my mum’s birthday, and knew I had to do it. I have never done anything like this before but my mum was a great fundraiser.
“Even during her harsh treatment for breast cancer she she was still worrying about other people and promoting awareness of breast cancer in her local area.”
Miss Mothersill will take on the 10-mile course with Essex schoolfriend Grace Dibben, 23.
She said: “After mum died it was easy just to crawl under my duvet and hope it would all go away.
“But the Ribbonwalk has given me the incentive to get out walking and do something positive.”
It is hoped the event will help raise £230,000 for the charity, which provides information and support and campaigns for better care.
- Registration is £30 and walkers are asked to raise £100 sponsorship.
- They get free entry to the palace grounds with a reduced entry fee for friends and family, a T-shirt and training guide and a massage, meal and medal at the finish.
- Register at breastcancercare.org.uk/walk or call 0870 145 0101.
- For details of Breast Cancer Care visit breastcancercare.org.uk or call free on 0808 800 6000.
- Sponsor Miss Mothersill at justgiving.com/teams/GraceandAileen.
- Donations can be sent by texting GNDA91 to 70070 s Are you entering? Tell the Oxford Mail by emailing email@example.com