George Street roadworks set to continue city chaos

The Oxford Times: George Street roadworks set to continue city chaos George Street roadworks set to continue city chaos

ROADWORKS in George Street look set to continue for longer than expected, causing extended misery for motorists.

The closure of the city centre street had been expected to end this week.

Construction firm ISG Ltd needs the street closed while it carries out work on a building.

But spokesman Nick Hann said they had been informed by Thames Water that the street needs to be shut for longer because new infrastructure has to be built underneath it. He said the last part of the installation needs to be redesigned because of the discovery of unsuitable ground conditions.

He said: “Thames Water will continue to carry out this work as quickly as possible and we anticipate that the road will reopen later this month. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.”

The closure, which began on May 12, is causing major disruption through the city centre with temporary traffic lights at the junction of Hythe Bridge Street and Worcester Street.

Bus services have been re-routed via Beaumont Street, where parking has been suspended to allow for the temporary stops.

Stagecoach Oxfordshire’s S1, S2, S3, 14, 17 and 18 services are affected, while Oxford Bus Company’s park-and-ride 300 service is terminating in the city centre.

Once it reopens there will be one-way traffic only on George Street for around six weeks.

Top News Our top stories:

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:02pm Mon 9 Jun 14

The New Private Eye says...

Does The OM have a clue what they are writing. 4 weeks ago when they first reported this story, they said that George Street would be fully closed for 10 weeks, and then one-way only for another 5 weeks. So either they made up the original report, or haven't bothered to check what they first wrote. And this from a paper that tells us it is the best local paper in the country???
Does The OM have a clue what they are writing. 4 weeks ago when they first reported this story, they said that George Street would be fully closed for 10 weeks, and then one-way only for another 5 weeks. So either they made up the original report, or haven't bothered to check what they first wrote. And this from a paper that tells us it is the best local paper in the country??? The New Private Eye
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree