Owners of blaze depot apologise to residents

The Oxford Times: The fire at Grundon Waste Depot The fire at Grundon Waste Depot

THE owner of a South Oxfordshire hazardous chemicals recycling depot that was the scene of a massive blaze at the weekend has apologised to residents.

Grundon Waste Management Ltd said a “relatively small fire” caused plumes of thick black smoke that could be seen for miles around the depot in Ewelme, near Benson, on Saturday night.

Residents in nearby villages were warned to shut their windows after 75 firefighters and 10 fire engines tackles the Goulds Grove blaze, caused by hot weather igniting oily rags.

Yesterday Grundon managing director Clayton Sullivan-Webb said: “We would like to thank all the emergency services staff who attended the fire over the weekend, for their constructive support and efficient and effective management of this incident.

“We would also like to apologise to any local residents who may have been inconvenienced by the smoke.’’ Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service was called at 7.20pm and the blaze was put out by 3am.

Environment Agency fume tests found no danger to health and the fire service said the warnings to residents within a three-mile radius were a precaution.

Police found there were no suspicious circumstances and no one was hurt.

Our top stories:

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree