Son sues mum over bypass crash injuries
9:30am Thursday 30th August 2012 in News
THE son of a driver who killed four people in a crash on Oxford’s Eastern Bypass is suing his mum – claiming his chances of getting a good job will be affected by his injuries he sustained.
Anton Dublin, now 20, wants more than £300,000 because his injuries in the smash in 2005 mean he has been unable to find work.
The crash left Mr Dublin brain damaged. Three of his friends – 13-year-olds Marshall Haynes, Liam Hastings and Josh Bartlett – and Oxford Brookes University student Howard Hillsdon, 21, all died in the accident.
Nurse Angela Dublin was jailed for two years in 2006 after admitting four counts of causing death by dangerous driving.
The 51-year-old is now known as Angela Jacobs. In May 2005 she squeezed seven boys into her Citroen Xsara, including two in the boot, on an outing for her son’s 13th birthday.
Only one was wearing a seatbelt before she lost control and drove into oncoming traffic .
Dwain Haynes, father of Marshall, last night said the new case was another reminder of how devastating the crash had been and how its impact was still being felt.
The 44-year-old said: “I don’t think it will ever go away. “It is still as raw then as it is now. “It didn’t just affect our family, it affected the wider community as well.”
He said the case could lead to further claims, adding: “There were kids with worse injuries than Anton.
“I have never had an apology from his mother. She never tried to explain. “The sentence she received was not hard enough.”
Mr Dublin’s solicitors, Botley firm Blake Lapthorn, said he suffered memory, concentration and behavioural problems, and needs intensive rehabilitation in a brain injury unit.
The High Court writ also claims he has an uncertain future because he left school with limited qualifications and has not been able to complete any courses at college.
Mr Dublin also broke his neck and collarbone, and had to have surgery on a leg injury. Three of his friends – Conor Hunt, then 12, Jake Proper and Aiden Wood, both 13 – were also injured. Mrs Jacobs, of Kelburne Road, Cowley, was in a critical condition but recovered and appeared at Oxford Crown Court on crutches.
Mr Dublin is making the claim now as he was under 18 at the time of the accident.
He is also seeking provisional damages and an order allowing him to return to court for more if he develops epilepsy in the future.