When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Former policeman died of asbestos exposure
10:30am Thursday 30th August 2012 in News
A FORMER Met policeman who carved part of the Bishop of Oxford’s ceremonial staff died after being exposed to asbestos in the 1960s.
Robert Collins, who worked for Oxford City Council as an environmental health enforcement officer, died on July 3 this year.
An inquest into his death took place at Old County Hall in Oxford yesterday.
The 89-year-old, of Churchfield Lane, Benson, died from mesothelioma, a form of cancer normally brought on by exposure to asbestos.
The inquest heard Mr Collins had not habitually worked with the substance, but did cover 13 doors with it to comply with fire regulations at a house he rented out in the 1960s.
Written evidence submitted by his son John said Mr Collins had been in the RAF in the 1940s before serving in the Met Police until 1973. He then came to work at Oxford City Council until his retirement in 1987.
Dr Collins said his father was a “quietly sensitive, powerful man” and skilled woodworker who carved the Bishop of Oxford’s crosier.
Coroner Alison Thompson recorded a verdict of accidental death as it was “effectively accidental exposure to asbestos”.