When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Doctor's three-year suspension continues
11:00am Friday 14th September 2012 in News
A LOCUM doctor has pocketed tens of thousands of pounds in NHS pay while suspended for the past three years, pending investigation of patients’ sexual misconduct allegations.
Dr Yenugula Rao Srinivas, pictured, was suspended from working for the NHS in Oxfordshire in April 2009 after allegations by patients of unwarranted intimate examinations.
He faced a trial and was acquitted of criminal offences in October last year, but still awaits the outcome of a General Medical Council (GMC) investigation into the women’s claims.
The GP, against whom no wrong-doing has been proved, has continued to take home about 60 per cent of his normal pay throughout his suspension, a judge has told London’s High Court.
Judge Andrew Gilbart QC said concerns were raised after the senior partner of a surgery where Dr Srinivas, 43, worked wrote to the GMC about the allegations.
He said: “The result of this was the Oxfordshire NHS Trust then suspended the defendant from its medical performers’ list and he has remained suspended since April 2009, albeit receiving at least a proportion, estimated at 60 per cent, of the earnings he would otherwise have derived from practising as a medical practitioner.”
The doctor, of Sandford-on-Thames, faced trial in 2011 over the allegations and was acquitted, but remains suspended from the Oxfordshire practitioners’ list. He was also suspended from practising medicine by the GMC in June 2010.
In court, Jason Pitter, representing the GMC, asked the judge to extend Dr Srinivas’ suspension, due to run out next week, until March to allow an investigation to be completed.
Giving his ruling, Judge Gilbart refused to grant so long an extension but said the doctor should remain suspended until January next year.
He said: “The allegations are very serious and, if proved, would show serious professional misconduct on the part of Dr Srinivas which has put the public at risk, and has also involved the improper alteration of medical records. The allegations are supported by evidence from the relevant patients, from the medical records and from expert evidence.”
The judge said the fact the issue is so important to his career meant the case should be dealt with quickly.
Dr Srinivas will remain suspended until January whilst the GMC considers whether to take the case to a full disciplinary hearing.