When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Hotelier developed thrombosis
5:00pm Saturday 22nd September 2012 in News
A HOTELIER who slipped on some grass and broke her ankle died after developing a deep vein thrombosis more than a month later.
Clare Logue, from Benson, was in the Berkshire village of Bray on March 3 when she slipped and injured herself.
The 48-year-old was taken to hospital and operated on but was found dead in the bathroom of her Blacklands Road home on May 5.
An inquest into her death at Oxford’s Old County Hall on Wednesday found she died as a result of complications from the initial injury. Pathologist Dr Sanjiv Manek said the cause of death was a “pulmonary embolism as a result of a deep vein thrombosis as a result of a left ankle fracture”.
The hearing was told Miss Logue, who managed the Monkey Island Hotel near Maidenhead, was given a physiotherapy routine and follow-up appointments after her accident. She was last seen at Slough’s Wexham Park Hospital on April 19.
Surgeon Dr Callum Clark said her treatment was “entirely routine” and her death was a shock.
Coroner Darren Salter recorded a verdict of accidental death.