When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Name: James Allie
Candidate for: Brent North
Party: Liberal Democrat
James, a lawyer by trade, describes himself as a “committed campaigner for social justice, equality, a fairer society and sustainable lifestyles”.
He started political campaigning back in 1987 while at Leicester University, actively opposing the Poll Tax and apartheid, and lobbying for reform of international aid.
James has represented the party on the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities ( Council of Europe) because of his commitment to local democracy and his belief that power should be devolving to the regions to achieve effective governance and transparent governance.
He has been a councillor in Brent representing Alperton since May 2002, and says he is especially proud that role because his ward reflects the “multicultural face of Britain”.
James continues to be a campaigner for housing rights.
He was the Chair of the Camden Federation of Private Tenants for five years and he was a board member of St Pancreas and Humanist Housing Association for five years.
About his values, he says: “I strongly believe that if our life chances are dictated by the area in which we were born or grew up in; housing in terms of place shaping and housing as a driver for social justice, then housing and education are the primary battle grounds to shape a fairer society.”
GENERAL ELECTION 2010 – LATEST NEWS
- Four-fifths of new university and college students own smartphones
- £130m investment set to boost Black Country employment
- Black-tie bash for James Bond will be golden for trust
- Government to end top-down targets
- Coalition 'boosting reform plans'
- Home information packs to be axed
- Alcohol sales below cost price axed
- Estate agents hail demise of Hips
- Report on voting chaos published
- Cameron to hold talks with Sarkozy