When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Name: John Howell
Candidate for: Henley
Since being elected MP for Henley in the 2008 by-election, John Howell has supported the Shadow Communities and Local Government team and worked on child poverty issues.
A former partner in Ernst & Young, he worked on opening up eastern Europe to British businesses following the fall of the Berlin Wall. He presented business news for BBC World Service television and served as an Oxfordshire county councillor.
He is a keen musician and amateur dramatics enthusiast.
He says: “I've been enormously proud of the feedback I’ve been receiving, that in two years I’ve already acquired a reputation of being a good constituency MP.
“This is a highly rural constituency with major farming issues. We are concerned about Labour’s threat to vital services such as pubs, post offices, buses and even schools. In both Thame and Henley I have worked hard to keep services at our community hospitals. We are worried by Labour’s tax on jobs and the Liberals’ tax policies as well as their wish to join the Euro. By opposing over-development and protecting the Green Belt I have stood up for the environment.
“The truth of this election is that if you vote orange, you get Brown.”
GENERAL ELECTION 2010 – LATEST NEWS
- Four-fifths of new university and college students own smartphones
- £130m investment set to boost Black Country employment
- Black-tie bash for James Bond will be golden for trust
- Government to end top-down targets
- Coalition 'boosting reform plans'
- Home information packs to be axed
- Alcohol sales below cost price axed
- Estate agents hail demise of Hips
- Report on voting chaos published
- Cameron to hold talks with Sarkozy