When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Name: Andrew Smith
Candidate for: Oxford East
Andrew Smith lives in the constituency, in Blackbird Leys.
He said he has worked hard for big improvements in hospitals and health centres, for new school buildings and staff, for support for pensioners and success for local businesses large and small.
He said: “Key issues are to secure the economic recovery and not put local services and jobs at risk with the savage cuts the Tories and Lib Dems have called for. Giving the best possible service to individual constituents is a top priority for me. I love Oxford. I’m on your side to make our great city better still”.
Mr Smith outlined the economy, public services and the environment as key campaign areas.
He added: “We must secure and protect Britain’s economic recovery, with all that means for jobs in Oxford, including guarantees of jobs or proper training for young people. It is vital to keep up investment in hospitals, schools, childcare, pensions and policing. The Tories and the Lib Dems are arguing for savage cuts in public spending which would be damaging in Oxford. It is crucial to build more affordable housing, to rent and to buy to help meet the acute local housing needs.”
GENERAL ELECTION 2010 – LATEST NEWS
- Four-fifths of new university and college students own smartphones
- £130m investment set to boost Black Country employment
- Black-tie bash for James Bond will be golden for trust
- Government to end top-down targets
- Coalition 'boosting reform plans'
- Home information packs to be axed
- Alcohol sales below cost price axed
- Estate agents hail demise of Hips
- Report on voting chaos published
- Cameron to hold talks with Sarkozy