When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Name: Sushila Dhall
Candidate for: Oxford East
Sushila Dhall has been a Green Party activist for 20 years. She has served on both the city and county councils, using these roles to campaign for the local community, human rights and environmental justice.
A public sector counsellor and a mother, Sushila joined the Green Party because of a passion for social equality and environmental protection.
She said: “Imagine Oxford with fresh clean air, social equality and more local jobs, shops and services. That is the Green Party aim.”
Ms Dhall said: “We need to stop using private money to prop up the NHS because that means public money is going into profits.
“We need to achieve a real switch from polluting forms of transport to public and non polluting transport and to do that we need to tackle the issue of accessibility.
“We need to provide more affordable homes on brownfield sites and protect our public services, amenities and spaces from encroachment by commercial developers.
“We need to put into place our Green New Deal to tackle the environmental and economic crises together.
“That would mean investing in a huge programme of building insulation, energy efficenciy and renewable energy. That would create jobs at the same time as tackling the issue of energy use.”
GENERAL ELECTION 2010 – LATEST NEWS
- Four-fifths of new university and college students own smartphones
- £130m investment set to boost Black Country employment
- Black-tie bash for James Bond will be golden for trust
- Government to end top-down targets
- Coalition 'boosting reform plans'
- Home information packs to be axed
- Alcohol sales below cost price axed
- Estate agents hail demise of Hips
- Report on voting chaos published
- Cameron to hold talks with Sarkozy