When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Name: Julia Gasper
Candidate for: Oxford East
Party: UK Independence Party
JULIA Gasper has lived in Oxford for more than 25 years and did her DPhil in English at Somerville College.
She lectures on Shakespeare to American students and writes books and reviews.
“My central message is to take back control of this country,” she said.
“We need electoral reform and a renewal of trust in our MPs. I have pledged not to claim any expenses if elected.
“Leaving the EU would enable us to abolish university tuition fees and restore the grant.
“We could fund the NHS properly and provide a decent state pension and affordable care for the elderly.”
She told the Oxford Mail: “Education is important as we need the best people to go university not just those with rich parents.
“We want to increase the state pension.
“People who rely on state pension have a really poor deal considering they paid National Insurance and tax all their lives.”
On housing she added: “We are against mass immigration.
“There are 500m people in the EU and they can’t all come here. I think in Oxford all we need to make sure is we house our own homeless people.
“That problem will get worse with limitless immigration – we need to choose who comes here.”
GENERAL ELECTION 2010 – LATEST NEWS
- Four-fifths of new university and college students own smartphones
- £130m investment set to boost Black Country employment
- Black-tie bash for James Bond will be golden for trust
- Government to end top-down targets
- Coalition 'boosting reform plans'
- Home information packs to be axed
- Alcohol sales below cost price axed
- Estate agents hail demise of Hips
- Report on voting chaos published
- Cameron to hold talks with Sarkozy