When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Name: Paul Williams
Candidate for: Oxford West & Abingdon
Party: UK Independence Party
PAUL Williams, 35, grew up near Newbury in Berkshire.
He is a businessman with a background in IT and a history graduate from Sheffield Hallam University.
Mr Williams has been an ardent opponent of European integration since the early 1990s, when the Tories passed the Maastricht Treaty, and when his family personally experienced the economic folly of the Exchange Rate Mechanism.
He joined the UK Independence party in 2008 as he believed there was little difference between the three bigger parties, who were not being straight with the British people. Mr Williams believes many issues in this election are not being discussed candidly because of a reluctance to discuss the EU element.
He said: “The unaccountable EU currently has the final word in many areas of UK life and locally this has led to the introduction of changes in our bin collections, higher fuel bills, closure of Post Offices, higher council tax and the pressure to build new homes.
“Only by leaving the EU can we regain our rights to self determination and do what is right for the nation. The British people urgently need a change of direction politically. It is time for a total change, one which will restore trust in politics and public services by making them answer to the people they serve and not to bureaucracy.”
GENERAL ELECTION 2010 – LATEST NEWS
- Four-fifths of new university and college students own smartphones
- £130m investment set to boost Black Country employment
- Black-tie bash for James Bond will be golden for trust
- Government to end top-down targets
- Coalition 'boosting reform plans'
- Home information packs to be axed
- Alcohol sales below cost price axed
- Estate agents hail demise of Hips
- Report on voting chaos published
- Cameron to hold talks with Sarkozy