When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Name: David Cameron
Candidate for: Witney
David Cameron has been MP for Witney since 2001.
He said: “It has been an honour to represent Witney over the past nine years.
“I have found few tasks more rewarding – whether helping victims of the floods, highlighting the need for better housing for military personnel in Carterton, standing up for our hospitals or schools, supporting the rural economy or taking up the cases for individual constituents.
“But this is an election with a difference. I’m not just standing to become Witney’s MP, but also to be your Prime Minister.
“After the last few years we need decisive leadership, and new ideas and energy to put this country back on its feet.
“With your support I would like to continue the work I do on your behalf, and together we can build a better country.
“We’ve got proposals to completely change the planning system and the way it works and have much more local determination of what is built and where, and to allow councils to keep more of the council tax and more of the money if they do build houses.”
Mr Cameron added he could handle the dual role of MP and Prime Minister in the event of a Conservative victory.
GENERAL ELECTION 2010 – LATEST NEWS
- Four-fifths of new university and college students own smartphones
- £130m investment set to boost Black Country employment
- Black-tie bash for James Bond will be golden for trust
- Government to end top-down targets
- Coalition 'boosting reform plans'
- Home information packs to be axed
- Alcohol sales below cost price axed
- Estate agents hail demise of Hips
- Report on voting chaos published
- Cameron to hold talks with Sarkozy