When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Name: Steven Mitchell
Candidate for: Wantage
Following the death of his father at a young age, Steven Mitchell, 43, was brought up in London by his mother.
Leaving school at 16, he became an apprentice engineer, going on to Manchester University, specialising in safety engineering and travelling extensively to work on projects across the globe.
He is now a freelance consultant on business and communications projects. He lives in St Albans with his partner, daughter and baby son, and is an experienced scuba diver and keen cyclist.
He said: “Housing is always an issue – people without a house cannot afford one, and those with houses do not want more to be built. The solution is for no political interference in planning, a lesson Ed Vaizey could learn.
“I want to improve performance of local services, particularly the NHS primary care trust, and secure local employment, including working with Europe to attract investment.
“The election is about competence – who can keep a cool head when really terrifying things happen. Gordon Brown has proved he can. Unlike some of the other candidates, I am actively contributing in tax through having a private sector job.
“I am not a career politician, but have worked in industry for years.”
GENERAL ELECTION 2010 – LATEST NEWS
- Four-fifths of new university and college students own smartphones
- £130m investment set to boost Black Country employment
- Black-tie bash for James Bond will be golden for trust
- Government to end top-down targets
- Coalition 'boosting reform plans'
- Home information packs to be axed
- Alcohol sales below cost price axed
- Estate agents hail demise of Hips
- Report on voting chaos published
- Cameron to hold talks with Sarkozy