When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Name: Adam Twine
Candidate for: Wantage
Oxfordshire born-and-bred, Adam Twine, 49, lives at Coleshill near Faringdon, where he has worked as a farmer for 25 years, converting to organic a decade ago.
He has pioneered a range of eco-friendly projects, including setting up Oxfordshire’s first community-owned wind farm at Watchfield. He has served as a parish councillor for eight years and has helped set up a local horticultural therapy charity for people with mental health problems.
He lives with his partner of 20 years and their two children, who were educated locally.
He said: “The election is very much about the economy. The challenge is to reduce the deficit but without compromising the social fabric, particularly for those with less of a voice to look after their own interests.
“We must stimulate the economy and create work while maintaining public services and addressing climate change.
“The Green Party sees this as an opportunity to create a fairer society that works for all, for example by limiting the maximum pay in large organisations to 10 times the minimum pay.
“We also believe that our present system of voting and democracy is discredited, failing people and badly needs reforming.”
GENERAL ELECTION 2010 – LATEST NEWS
- House prices on the rise with £20,000 increase since start of year
- Four-fifths of new university and college students own smartphones
- £130m investment set to boost Black Country employment
- Black-tie bash for James Bond will be golden for trust
- Government to probe torture claims
- Mandelson and Adonis leave cabinet
- Government to end top-down targets
- Labour candidates get extra 13 days
- Call for changes after poll queues
- Alcohol sales below cost price axed