When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Boys raised fire alarm at Eynsham home
Updated 3:31pm Tuesday 22nd April 2014 in Witney
TWO young boys have been praised by Eynsham firefighters for raising the alarm when their chimney caught fire.
The youngsters, who are both about six years old, noticed smoke coming from the chimney of their house in Griffiths Close, Northmoor, at about 4pm on Saturday.
Crew manager Paul Ganderson, from Eynsham fire station, said their parents were having a barbecue outside in the back garden and had not noticed the smoke inside.
He said the boys realised something was wrong, told their parents and a crew from Eynsham attended and quickly put out the fire, which had been caused by a blockage in the chimney.
Mr Ganderson said: “They did an exemplary job by raising the alarm and telling their parents. It stopped the fire from spreading.”
He added that the pair were rewarded for their quick thinking with a closer look at a fire engine. He said: “It was a well-deserved reward and I think they really enjoyed it.”
Comments are closed on this article.