When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
FOOTBALL: Ford looks forward to Eastleigh
10:00am Tuesday 1st October 2013 in Football
Manager Mike Ford is confident Oxford City can pull off an upset after they were drawn away to Skrill South leaders Eastleigh in the FA Cup third qualifying round on Saturday, October 12, writes MATTHEW BRUCE.
The Hampshire side, managed by former Oxford United midfielder Richard Hill, have only been beaten once so far this season, and also feature former U’s players Damian Batt, Yemi Odubade and Craig McAllister among their ranks.
City beat the Spitfires 3-1 in the same round of the competition two years ago, and Ford believes his side are capable of repeating the feat.
“We’ve been there in the recent past in the FA Cup and got victory, so we’re not going completely into the unknown,” he said.
“They’re the Conference South leaders and it’s obviously going to be a difficult test for us, but our form is coming together and I think we can go there and play with freedom.”
Didcot Town have been drawn at home to fellow Calor League Division 1 South & West side Shortwood United.
It’s the third time in four seasons that the Railwaymen have reached this round, and chairman John Bailey is hopeful they can continue to progress.
“We lost 4-1 to Shortwood on the opening day of the season, so this is a chance for revenge and also a good opportunity to get into the next round,” he said.
“I think it’s hugely important to a club like Didcot, to the fans and also the players, because everybody wants to play in the world’s oldest cup competition.”
Comments are closed on this article.