IT WAS a early morning start for firefighters who were scrambled to tackled a kitchen fire in East Oxford.

The fire took hold of a cooker extractor fan about 2am in the home in Charles Street.

Crews from Slade Park Fire Station and Rewley Road Fire Station were sent and when they got to the house the occupants were already out.

The Oxford Times:

Firefighters put out the flames and managed to contain the fire to the kitchen only.

Incident Commande crew manager Michael Milling, of Slade Park Fire Station, said: “The occupants were alerted to the fire by the activation of their smoke alarms and the fire was contained to the kitchen by the occupants having the door to the kitchen closed.

"This incident highlights the need for every household to have a fire plan.

"A plan of what you and your family will do in the event of a fire and an evening routine to ensure that doors are closed, electrical items are unplugged and that you have working smoke alarms that are tested weekly."