A DRIVER sped onto Cowley Road before smashing into a car and and a set of railings outside The City Arms pub, a court has heard.

Omer Hussain, of Cowley Road, Oxford, denies one count of dangerous driving.

Oxford Crown Court heard at the start of his trial today how the 29-year old was first spotted by police travelling in a BMW on Southfield Road towards Cowley Road shortly after midnight on January 26 last year.

Giving an overview of the case, prosecutor Donal Lawler told jurors that officers quickly became suspicious because of his ‘inappropriate’ driving at Southfield Road.

He said: “They decided to turn and follow the car.

“By the time they turned around and started going back to Cowley Road, down Southfield Road, they formed the impression that the car was travelling far in excess of the speed limit.

“He was quite far down the road, in fact they soon lost sight of him.”

The court heard that seconds later Hussain drove out of Southfield Road onto Cowley Road and straight into the path of an oncoming car driving towards the city.

Mr Lawler said that the BMW then clipped the side of the car – driven by Gemma Norville – before careering off the road and into a set of railings outside The City Arms pub.

He added that the driver of the other vehicle suffered whiplash as a result of the crash.

CCTV footage was also played to the jury panel showing the side of The City Arms pub and facing Magdalen Road.

Ms Norville’s car is seen to pass along Cowley Road before the BMW driven by Hussain appears to hurtle into the pub railings moments later, coming to a complete stop.

A man is then seen to emerge from the car before dashing up Magdalen Street and disappearing out of view, leaving the car behind.

Hussain was later identified by police, the court was told, and gave an interview on January 31.

While there he said that he had been for a run at South Park before driving along Southfield Road and towards Cowley Road.

Explaining the collision, he told police he had braked and ‘felt like he was on black ice’ the court heard, and he remembered seeing the car before coming to a halt moments later.

Mr Lawler said: “The crown say this was clearly dangerous driving.

"He was travelling at speed and far below the standards one expects of a careful and competent driver.

The trial continues.