THE mother of a man who suffered life-changing brain injuries in a hit-and-run incident has said she will "never rest in peace" until the person responsible is caught.

Cowley student Steven Wanna was left for dead after being struck by a car as he was walking along a road towards Oxford in the early hours of his birthday on February 14, 2017.

The 22-year-old was found by his friends lying unconscious in the middle of the A4074 between the Golden Balls and Berinsfield roundabouts, near Nuneham Courtenay.

RECAP - Hit-and-run victim suffers horrific injuries

Two years on, no arrests have been made and his mother Sandy Mar said she was very disappointed Thames Valley Police had now formally shelved their investigation unless they receive fresh information.

The 51-year-old said: "I'm a positive person, a Buddhist, and I forgive the driver for what they did, but until they are caught I think there is a real chance they will do it again because they know they can get away with it.

"I don't even want them to go to prison but they need to take responsibility for taking away my son's promising future."

The Oxford Times:

After being kept in a coma for three months to allow his body to heal, the former Abingdon and Witney college student has been slowly recovering from a catalogue of horrific injuries.

These included a fractured skull, a brain haemorrhage, a fractured eye socket and nose, as well as his face being split open.

He also suffered a fractured hip, a broken left leg and broken toes on his right foot in the Valentine's Day hit and run.

The Oxford Times:

Two years on, he is making slow but steady progress at a specialist facility in Northamptonshire and is now able to walk 20 steps without the aid of crutches.

For the Cowley student, who cannot remember the crash or even starting college, his focus is on rebuilding his life.

He said: "I want to be back in Oxford with my mum and friends. I know I have a brain injury but I want to go back to college and study business and psychology so I can manage a cinema one day."

Ms Mar said she has been applying to Oxford City Council for a two-bedroom ground floor home, to allow her to care for him, but claimed it has been repeatedly rejected.

READ AGAIN: Mother faces fresh battle to bring her son home after hit-and-run

Her petition, lobbying for the authority to provide a bigger home for the pair, has been signed by more than 1,700 people.

Oxford East MP Anneliese Dodds has also taken up the cause and asked the authority to reconsider the mother and son's case.

The Oxford Times:

Ms Mar, who rushed back from her home country of Myanmar (Burma) after being told of her son's injuries, said she had suffered from depression and struggled with how the hit-and-run had changed her eldest child.

She said: "It is like having a completely different son, with a different mind.

"It does make it harder that the person who did it is still out there. I never want this to happen to anyone else. I will never rest in peace until they are found."

ALSO READ: Why Oxfordshire's roads are among the most dangerous in England

Investigating officer PC Victoria Jones, of the Serious Collision investigation unit, said: “Steven Wanna was found on the A4074 at Nuneham Courtenay, Oxfordshire, on February 14, 2017, with serious life-changing injuries.

"Following a thorough investigation and a number of appeals for information, the case has been filed pending any new information coming to light. No arrests took place in connection with the incident.

“If anyone does have any information about what happened to Steven, please get in contact with police.”

Anyone with any information should call the 24-hour Thames Valley Police enquiry centre on 101.