BANBURY are preparing for a crunch play-off tie after captain Ian Isham scored a hat-trick of tries in their 36-19 win at Witney.

The Bulls had a slim chance of winning the South West 1 East title, but were forced to settle for second after newly-crowned champions Old Patesians beat Oxford Harlequins.

Banbury now travel to West runners-up Exeter University on Saturday as they vie for promotion to the South West Premier.

Bulls started well and led 10-0 after 18 minutes, thanks to unconverted tries from Jimmy Manley and Isham.

Front-row forward Isham then forced his way over again, Ed Phillips converting.

But Witney responded to trail by just three points, when Rhys Morgan and Charlie Marshall crossed, George Lewis adding the extras.

Bulls re-established their dominance in the second half and skipper Isham completed his hat-trick to make it 11 tries for the season.

Tommy Gray then wrong-footed the opposition to touch down, before Dan Brady also got in on the act, Phillips converting, to make it 36-14.

Witney completed the scoring when Lewis outstripped the Bulls defenders to cross on 67 minutes.

A Quins victory over Old Pats in their last game at Marston Ferry Road would have seen Banbury win the title.

But it would have also needed the visitors to fail to pick up a point, which did not look likely when they caught the hosts cold on three minutes.

Christian Taft crossed for Old Pats and it was soon 14-0 when Tom Langton dived over, James Aherne converting.

Quins steadied the ship and Chris Davies drove across for his seventh try of the campaign, James Stacey adding the extras.

But the visitors increased their lead after the break when Langton crossed again, before Lee Hathaway raced over.

Duncan Spurrier and Langton added further tries, but Quins were left pleased with a fourth-placed finish.

Relegated Grove, who still have a game to play, lost 39-15 at Swindon.

Benny Davies crossed twice, with James Monks kicking five points.

Basement boys Bicester fell to a 57-20 defeat away to Wimborne.

Charlie Bethell kicked two penalties for the visitors, who lost Eddie Roberts and Reece Sullivan to injury.

Wes Westaway crossed before the break, Bethell converting, but Bicester trailed 22-13.

The visitors conceded five more tries in the second half, but Bethell converted his own score.