Smoke alarm alerts mother in Courtington Lane, Bloxham

The Oxford Times: Smoke alarm alerts mother Smoke alarm alerts mother

A MOTHER and baby were able to safely leave their home thanks to their smoke alarm.

Firefighters were called to Courtington Lane in Bloxham today at 12.54pm after a small fire started when a plastic tray was accidently placed on top of a hot cooker.

A smoke alarm alerted the mother who was upstairs with a baby.

After evacuating the house and leaving the baby with a neighbour, she returned to the kitchen and put out the fire with a bucket of water.

The mother was treated for smoke inhalation.

Incident commander John Callaway said: “This incident highlights the importance of having working smoke alarms as they have made the occupier aware of the fire and enabled them to evacuate safely.

“However I must stress the dangers of returning to the fire. Fires, especially those involving plastics, give off highly toxic smoke which can cause serious breathing difficulties, unconsciousness and even death, remember, Get Out, Get the Fire Brigade Out and Stay Out.”

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree