Oxford Utd 3, Southend Utd 3 (Southend win 5-3 on pens)

Tyrone Marsh celebrates his goal

Tyrone Marsh celebrates his goal

First published in Sport The Oxford Times: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Sports Reporter covering Oxford United. Follow us on twitter: @oxfordmailoufc. Call me on 01865 425458

OXFORD United's run in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy came to an end as they were knocked out on a penalty shoot-out by Southend United.

Alfie Potter was the unlucky player to see his spot kick saved by Daniel Bentley, who was brought on specifically for the penalties.

It completed a dramatic area semi-final, which lurched from one side to the other.

Goals from teenager Tyrone Marsh and Tom Craddock saw United come from behind to lead 2-1 at half time.

Southend scored twice in five minutes to snatch back the advantage after the break, but Sean Rigg's last-gasp header made it 3-3.

But unlike in the previous round, at Plymouth, the U's could not prevail from 12 yards and Southend will head through to the area final.

Marsh came in for the cup tied Justin Richards in one of three changes from the side which started Saturday's FA Cup defeat to Sheffield United.

Rigg and Michael Raynes were also promoted to the XI, at the expense of Peter Leven and Michael Duberry.

Southend boss Paul Sturrock named the strongest line-up available to him and the visitors struck the first blow after just six minutes.

Jake Wright conceded a free-kick, which Kevan Hurst swung in for Corr to head back across goalkeeper Ryan Clarke and into the net.

The U's responded well to the setback and drew level eight minutes later.

Alfie Potter turned Chris Barker inside out before picking out Rigg with his cross. The winger's diving header was kept out by goalkeeper Paul Smith, but Marsh pounced on the rebound to equalise for his first senior goal.

The hosts's line-up was unfamiliar, but the goal settled them down and Southend were second best for the remainder of the half.

Rigg enjoyed himself in a free role and he almost scored with a curling shot midway through the half which flew just wide.

The sparse home crowd did not have long to wait for the second goal, which arrived on 31 minutes.

It owed much to a fantastic 50-yard diagonal ball from Simon Heslop, which set Tom Craddock through in goal and he coolly lobbed Smith left-footed for his 12th goal of the season.

Southend were on the back foot, but were gifted a second goal after the break by Luke O'Brien.

The full back was caught in two minds by an aimless ball forward, but he ended up setting Sean Clohessy free to calmly beat Clarke.

Gavin Tomlin hit the crossbar with a header, but the striker quickly made amends by teeing up Corr to make it 3-2 with a fantastic finish into the top corner from 20 yards.

The U's had just over half an hour to conjure a second comeback of the night.

Craddock came close to a spectacular second goal, but he could only flick a shot over after a lung-busting run and cross from Rigg.

As a last resort defender Harry Worley was brought on to play as a makeshift striker.

His physical presence rattled Southend, who retreated and gave the U's a chance to press forward.

With a minute of the 90 remaining they were rewarded, as Rigg stooped to head in a Tony Capaldi corner.

But the euphoria was short-lived, as the Essex club held their nerve in the shoot-out to go through.

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:22pm Tue 8 Jan 13

mikek says...

Ha Ha Ha Ha the little Pox have their Wembley day out dreams shattered by two ex Town players and ex Town Manager. Trust Timlin and Benyon to end your dreams ohh the pain for you poor success starved fans but hey well done Saffend and Mr Sturrock nice job done. Made my day yet again but sorry must dash got to get ready for the Di Canio Express as we are off to the championship and did you notice on Sky Sports that the mighty STFC are the BEST team in Europe Played 4 Goals for16 against 0 12 points. Keep on dreaming little yellow warriors.
Ha Ha Ha Ha the little Pox have their Wembley day out dreams shattered by two ex Town players and ex Town Manager. Trust Timlin and Benyon to end your dreams ohh the pain for you poor success starved fans but hey well done Saffend and Mr Sturrock nice job done. Made my day yet again but sorry must dash got to get ready for the Di Canio Express as we are off to the championship and did you notice on Sky Sports that the mighty STFC are the BEST team in Europe Played 4 Goals for16 against 0 12 points. Keep on dreaming little yellow warriors. mikek
  • Score: 0

10:34pm Tue 8 Jan 13

oldun says...

mikek wrote:
Ha Ha Ha Ha the little Pox have their Wembley day out dreams shattered by two ex Town players and ex Town Manager. Trust Timlin and Benyon to end your dreams ohh the pain for you poor success starved fans but hey well done Saffend and Mr Sturrock nice job done. Made my day yet again but sorry must dash got to get ready for the Di Canio Express as we are off to the championship and did you notice on Sky Sports that the mighty STFC are the BEST team in Europe Played 4 Goals for16 against 0 12 points. Keep on dreaming little yellow warriors.
Best team in Europe - Barca watch out! What a pity that United did not take one step further towards the final of a non event in which (except for the final) is played before paltry attendances. Nonetheless - I was hoping that we would win - boo hoo.
[quote][p][bold]mikek[/bold] wrote: Ha Ha Ha Ha the little Pox have their Wembley day out dreams shattered by two ex Town players and ex Town Manager. Trust Timlin and Benyon to end your dreams ohh the pain for you poor success starved fans but hey well done Saffend and Mr Sturrock nice job done. Made my day yet again but sorry must dash got to get ready for the Di Canio Express as we are off to the championship and did you notice on Sky Sports that the mighty STFC are the BEST team in Europe Played 4 Goals for16 against 0 12 points. Keep on dreaming little yellow warriors.[/p][/quote]Best team in Europe - Barca watch out! What a pity that United did not take one step further towards the final of a non event in which (except for the final) is played before paltry attendances. Nonetheless - I was hoping that we would win - boo hoo. oldun
  • Score: 0

10:39pm Tue 8 Jan 13

Ians view says...

I was reading this for a bit of fun... then came to the comments of mikek. Although his English is relatively good, he seems to focuses on the unimportant in life, and is desperate to find meaning and purpose in life.

Some people need help, and a way to occupy their time constructively.
I was reading this for a bit of fun... then came to the comments of mikek. Although his English is relatively good, he seems to focuses on the unimportant in life, and is desperate to find meaning and purpose in life. Some people need help, and a way to occupy their time constructively. Ians view
  • Score: 0

10:47pm Tue 8 Jan 13

mikek says...

Ians view wrote:
I was reading this for a bit of fun... then came to the comments of mikek. Although his English is relatively good, he seems to focuses on the unimportant in life, and is desperate to find meaning and purpose in life.

Some people need help, and a way to occupy their time constructively.
Not really Ians view had to put up with similar jibes from your fans last season and some really hostile comments when you beat the mighty STFC so I always remember to give some back now and again especially when our yellow colleagues up the road have a few downers. Sorry its called payback
[quote][p][bold]Ians view[/bold] wrote: I was reading this for a bit of fun... then came to the comments of mikek. Although his English is relatively good, he seems to focuses on the unimportant in life, and is desperate to find meaning and purpose in life. Some people need help, and a way to occupy their time constructively.[/p][/quote]Not really Ians view had to put up with similar jibes from your fans last season and some really hostile comments when you beat the mighty STFC so I always remember to give some back now and again especially when our yellow colleagues up the road have a few downers. Sorry its called payback mikek
  • Score: 0

10:50pm Tue 8 Jan 13

35 year fan says...

what a sad little loser mikek is :) amazing how the scum are all so completely obsessed with us.
what a sad little loser mikek is :) amazing how the scum are all so completely obsessed with us. 35 year fan
  • Score: 0

3:16am Wed 9 Jan 13

joey butler says...

Where are you my fellow Oxford supporters?

These Swinedown fans are running wild on here and we should be standing up to them.

It is bad enough living in my 3 sided caravan in Kingston Bagpuise, with all the scrap cars and copper cable, but this is just too much!!

Where is Curran, yes Hugh Curran?
And where is Marina Morris when we need you?

We must drive back these Witney invaders from down the 420 and teach them a lesson, once and for all!!!!
Where are you my fellow Oxford supporters? These Swinedown fans are running wild on here and we should be standing up to them. It is bad enough living in my 3 sided caravan in Kingston Bagpuise, with all the scrap cars and copper cable, but this is just too much!! Where is Curran, yes Hugh Curran? And where is Marina Morris when we need you? We must drive back these Witney invaders from down the 420 and teach them a lesson, once and for all!!!! joey butler
  • Score: 0

5:07am Wed 9 Jan 13

oldun says...

STFC are doing much better than us - fact . Onwards to promotion this season yellows - win at Bradford tomorrow - they will have that post- Barca Celtic feeling for that game. Three points for attacking minded (I hope) United. Come on CW - attack
STFC are doing much better than us - fact . Onwards to promotion this season yellows - win at Bradford tomorrow - they will have that post- Barca Celtic feeling for that game. Three points for attacking minded (I hope) United. Come on CW - attack oldun
  • Score: 0

8:26am Wed 9 Jan 13

Brenda Jackson says...

Ignoring the mentally unstable juvenile trolls...
Good performance last night, apart from that is, some shocking defending!
The lad Marsh had a great full home debut, and showed his elders the way forward!! :O)
On to Bradford, might it be a case of After the lord majors show' for them??
Ignoring the mentally unstable juvenile trolls... Good performance last night, apart from that is, some shocking defending! The lad Marsh had a great full home debut, and showed his elders the way forward!! :O) On to Bradford, might it be a case of After the lord majors show' for them?? Brenda Jackson
  • Score: 0

8:28am Wed 9 Jan 13

adlibber says...

looks like the wheels are coming off again and as much as I still think wilder is failing I think constable has to take some blame for last nights loss. If Constable wasn't so thick he might have been an influence in the game instead of collecting suspensions like a hobby.

So next up is another 5-0 humping at Bradford and Wilder's run of cliché ridden excuses will explode into new realms of the bleedin obvious. Forget the cups it's promotion now anything else is incidental. League One next season or new manger. It's all we have left.

Oh and Scummers - enjoy your day in the sun it won't last and lest we all forget you have a right wing fascist as a manager and that stain won't lift even after he's gone.
looks like the wheels are coming off again and as much as I still think wilder is failing I think constable has to take some blame for last nights loss. If Constable wasn't so thick he might have been an influence in the game instead of collecting suspensions like a hobby. So next up is another 5-0 humping at Bradford and Wilder's run of cliché ridden excuses will explode into new realms of the bleedin obvious. Forget the cups it's promotion now anything else is incidental. League One next season or new manger. It's all we have left. Oh and Scummers - enjoy your day in the sun it won't last and lest we all forget you have a right wing fascist as a manager and that stain won't lift even after he's gone. adlibber
  • Score: 0

9:08am Wed 9 Jan 13

A Scroat says...

Ians view wrote:
I was reading this for a bit of fun... then came to the comments of mikek. Although his English is relatively good, he seems to focuses on the unimportant in life, and is desperate to find meaning and purpose in life.

Some people need help, and a way to occupy their time constructively.
Spot on Ian. He will go away and get back to working out what crop rotation is once we have got rid of Constable and replaced him with a proper striker.
[quote][p][bold]Ians view[/bold] wrote: I was reading this for a bit of fun... then came to the comments of mikek. Although his English is relatively good, he seems to focuses on the unimportant in life, and is desperate to find meaning and purpose in life. Some people need help, and a way to occupy their time constructively.[/p][/quote]Spot on Ian. He will go away and get back to working out what crop rotation is once we have got rid of Constable and replaced him with a proper striker. A Scroat
  • Score: 0

9:16am Wed 9 Jan 13

BezzaYellow says...

Shouldn't really comment on trolls, but it's extremely dull and sad Swindon fans coming on this site with their attempt at wind-ups. They must live in a bed-sit swigging white lightning.
This is the same competition i saw Swindon lose very badly to Chesterfield in the final last year. They were appalling. Such a waste of all their fans hitching a ride to the capital.
You won't be riding the crest of a wave when all that over-spending and financial reality costs you 10 points for going into administration.
Shouldn't really comment on trolls, but it's extremely dull and sad Swindon fans coming on this site with their attempt at wind-ups. They must live in a bed-sit swigging white lightning. This is the same competition i saw Swindon lose very badly to Chesterfield in the final last year. They were appalling. Such a waste of all their fans hitching a ride to the capital. You won't be riding the crest of a wave when all that over-spending and financial reality costs you 10 points for going into administration. BezzaYellow
  • Score: 0

9:30am Wed 9 Jan 13

Lambourn Red says...

BezzaYellow wrote:
Shouldn't really comment on trolls, but it's extremely dull and sad Swindon fans coming on this site with their attempt at wind-ups. They must live in a bed-sit swigging white lightning.
This is the same competition i saw Swindon lose very badly to Chesterfield in the final last year. They were appalling. Such a waste of all their fans hitching a ride to the capital.
You won't be riding the crest of a wave when all that over-spending and financial reality costs you 10 points for going into administration.
You keep on clutching at those straws I would be more worried about your own finances if what I am hearing on the grapevine is true.
[quote][p][bold]BezzaYellow[/bold] wrote: Shouldn't really comment on trolls, but it's extremely dull and sad Swindon fans coming on this site with their attempt at wind-ups. They must live in a bed-sit swigging white lightning. This is the same competition i saw Swindon lose very badly to Chesterfield in the final last year. They were appalling. Such a waste of all their fans hitching a ride to the capital. You won't be riding the crest of a wave when all that over-spending and financial reality costs you 10 points for going into administration.[/p][/quote]You keep on clutching at those straws I would be more worried about your own finances if what I am hearing on the grapevine is true. Lambourn Red
  • Score: 0

11:11am Wed 9 Jan 13

oldun says...

Lambourn Red wrote:
BezzaYellow wrote:
Shouldn't really comment on trolls, but it's extremely dull and sad Swindon fans coming on this site with their attempt at wind-ups. They must live in a bed-sit swigging white lightning.
This is the same competition i saw Swindon lose very badly to Chesterfield in the final last year. They were appalling. Such a waste of all their fans hitching a ride to the capital.
You won't be riding the crest of a wave when all that over-spending and financial reality costs you 10 points for going into administration.
You keep on clutching at those straws I would be more worried about your own finances if what I am hearing on the grapevine is true.
Grapevine! Name your source!
[quote][p][bold]Lambourn Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BezzaYellow[/bold] wrote: Shouldn't really comment on trolls, but it's extremely dull and sad Swindon fans coming on this site with their attempt at wind-ups. They must live in a bed-sit swigging white lightning. This is the same competition i saw Swindon lose very badly to Chesterfield in the final last year. They were appalling. Such a waste of all their fans hitching a ride to the capital. You won't be riding the crest of a wave when all that over-spending and financial reality costs you 10 points for going into administration.[/p][/quote]You keep on clutching at those straws I would be more worried about your own finances if what I am hearing on the grapevine is true.[/p][/quote]Grapevine! Name your source! oldun
  • Score: 0

2:02pm Wed 9 Jan 13

bigchet says...

sorry to be out of the trophy but we did quite well considering wre were not at full strength .see the saddoes on here trying to get a bit of reflected glory in the fact that the ex stfc players were involved , in achieving what the so called wonder boys from wilts could not do.obviously as we got farther in the competition we would meet better sides.than those in the earlier rounds.
sorry to be out of the trophy but we did quite well considering wre were not at full strength .see the saddoes on here trying to get a bit of reflected glory in the fact that the ex stfc players were involved , in achieving what the so called wonder boys from wilts could not do.obviously as we got farther in the competition we would meet better sides.than those in the earlier rounds. bigchet
  • Score: 0

6:41pm Wed 9 Jan 13

Chish and Fips says...

oldun wrote:
Lambourn Red wrote:
BezzaYellow wrote:
Shouldn't really comment on trolls, but it's extremely dull and sad Swindon fans coming on this site with their attempt at wind-ups. They must live in a bed-sit swigging white lightning.
This is the same competition i saw Swindon lose very badly to Chesterfield in the final last year. They were appalling. Such a waste of all their fans hitching a ride to the capital.
You won't be riding the crest of a wave when all that over-spending and financial reality costs you 10 points for going into administration.
You keep on clutching at those straws I would be more worried about your own finances if what I am hearing on the grapevine is true.
Grapevine! Name your source!
Oldun for someone who vows not to reply to your League 1 friends down the A420, there does seem an awful lot of those non-replies from you happening - sounds like your feeling the strain too, along with a few others of your fellow supporters on here.

Bezza - for your benefit it was still a good day out and a worth the trip, so up yours ol 'green eyes' ... ha ha
[quote][p][bold]oldun[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lambourn Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BezzaYellow[/bold] wrote: Shouldn't really comment on trolls, but it's extremely dull and sad Swindon fans coming on this site with their attempt at wind-ups. They must live in a bed-sit swigging white lightning. This is the same competition i saw Swindon lose very badly to Chesterfield in the final last year. They were appalling. Such a waste of all their fans hitching a ride to the capital. You won't be riding the crest of a wave when all that over-spending and financial reality costs you 10 points for going into administration.[/p][/quote]You keep on clutching at those straws I would be more worried about your own finances if what I am hearing on the grapevine is true.[/p][/quote]Grapevine! Name your source![/p][/quote]Oldun for someone who vows not to reply to your League 1 friends down the A420, there does seem an awful lot of those non-replies from you happening - sounds like your feeling the strain too, along with a few others of your fellow supporters on here. Bezza - for your benefit it was still a good day out and a worth the trip, so up yours ol 'green eyes' ... ha ha Chish and Fips
  • Score: 0

6:59pm Wed 9 Jan 13

oldun says...

Chish and Fips wrote:
oldun wrote:
Lambourn Red wrote:
BezzaYellow wrote:
Shouldn't really comment on trolls, but it's extremely dull and sad Swindon fans coming on this site with their attempt at wind-ups. They must live in a bed-sit swigging white lightning.
This is the same competition i saw Swindon lose very badly to Chesterfield in the final last year. They were appalling. Such a waste of all their fans hitching a ride to the capital.
You won't be riding the crest of a wave when all that over-spending and financial reality costs you 10 points for going into administration.
You keep on clutching at those straws I would be more worried about your own finances if what I am hearing on the grapevine is true.
Grapevine! Name your source!
Oldun for someone who vows not to reply to your League 1 friends down the A420, there does seem an awful lot of those non-replies from you happening - sounds like your feeling the strain too, along with a few others of your fellow supporters on here.

Bezza - for your benefit it was still a good day out and a worth the trip, so up yours ol 'green eyes' ... ha ha
"Vows" - err.. if you say so . However, I have often replied to fans of either your team or of mine . Strain ? Like most folk I know well, football does not come in the five most important considerations in life. As a very keen United fan, I cheered enthusiastically Swindon all the way to Wembley (great eliminations of Derby, Burnley, Cov etc) in 1968-69. No prob chatting to intelligent people - as long as "them do not like use like long words, like"
[quote][p][bold]Chish and Fips[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]oldun[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lambourn Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BezzaYellow[/bold] wrote: Shouldn't really comment on trolls, but it's extremely dull and sad Swindon fans coming on this site with their attempt at wind-ups. They must live in a bed-sit swigging white lightning. This is the same competition i saw Swindon lose very badly to Chesterfield in the final last year. They were appalling. Such a waste of all their fans hitching a ride to the capital. You won't be riding the crest of a wave when all that over-spending and financial reality costs you 10 points for going into administration.[/p][/quote]You keep on clutching at those straws I would be more worried about your own finances if what I am hearing on the grapevine is true.[/p][/quote]Grapevine! Name your source![/p][/quote]Oldun for someone who vows not to reply to your League 1 friends down the A420, there does seem an awful lot of those non-replies from you happening - sounds like your feeling the strain too, along with a few others of your fellow supporters on here. Bezza - for your benefit it was still a good day out and a worth the trip, so up yours ol 'green eyes' ... ha ha[/p][/quote]"Vows" - err.. if you say so . However, I have often replied to fans of either your team or of mine . Strain ? Like most folk I know well, football does not come in the five most important considerations in life. As a very keen United fan, I cheered enthusiastically Swindon all the way to Wembley (great eliminations of Derby, Burnley, Cov etc) in 1968-69. No prob chatting to intelligent people - as long as "them do not like use like long words, like" oldun
  • Score: 0

8:40pm Wed 9 Jan 13

mandate says...

Mikek have you been waiting since August to put your little jibe on this site? I hope you are satisfied now little man. Yes, Oxford are out of the JPT... who really cares?
I personally relish the hurt you obviously feel after losing 3 times in a year to us. I'm sure all Swindon fans felt a lot worse about how they were knocked out of the JPT this season, than Oxford fans did last night.
Mikek have you been waiting since August to put your little jibe on this site? I hope you are satisfied now little man. Yes, Oxford are out of the JPT... who really cares? I personally relish the hurt you obviously feel after losing 3 times in a year to us. I'm sure all Swindon fans felt a lot worse about how they were knocked out of the JPT this season, than Oxford fans did last night. mandate
  • Score: 0

10:28am Thu 10 Jan 13

Sid Snakey says...

Thoroughly entertaining match - glad I went even though the result was disappointing. Despite conceding in the 6th minute we then came back at Southend with a vengeance. It was like watching an attack vs defence training session. Alfie Potter hasn't been mentioned other than the penalty miss but he was awesome in the 1st half, terrorising their experienced left-back. We went in at half-time looking like we couldn't possibly lose and unlucky to only be one up. A great come-back against a decent side.

Second half and straight away you could see Southend had started the strongest. This is a recurring problem I have noticed at home when leading at half-time, where we come out seemingly not knowing how to handle a narrow lead.

We didn't really get going again until about 15 mins from the end - typical! Great pressure though from Harry Worley and a deserved equaliser from the excellent and tireless Rigg.

Very disappointing to lose the penalty shoot out. Clarke got to 3 of their kicks but they squirmed through him. On a dry night I guess he would have got at least 2 of those.

I actually felt sorry for their keeper Smith, being subbed just before the penalties but shrewd move from Sturrock in the end.

Just to respond to adlibber above with his comments about Wilder - I'm guessing you weren't at the game? Shame since you would have seen an overall impressive performance and Tyrone Marsh benefited from Constable's absence.

To the scummers on here - great banter lads but I know you lot cross your fingers every time there's a cup draw and pray you don't get us. I also know the relief you felt when getting promoted to League One because it meant you didn't have to play us twice in the league, and for the same reason I know you will be bricking it in case you don't get promoted and we do. So keep it coming lads, we remember it all.
Thoroughly entertaining match - glad I went even though the result was disappointing. Despite conceding in the 6th minute we then came back at Southend with a vengeance. It was like watching an attack vs defence training session. Alfie Potter hasn't been mentioned other than the penalty miss but he was awesome in the 1st half, terrorising their experienced left-back. We went in at half-time looking like we couldn't possibly lose and unlucky to only be one up. A great come-back against a decent side. Second half and straight away you could see Southend had started the strongest. This is a recurring problem I have noticed at home when leading at half-time, where we come out seemingly not knowing how to handle a narrow lead. We didn't really get going again until about 15 mins from the end - typical! Great pressure though from Harry Worley and a deserved equaliser from the excellent and tireless Rigg. Very disappointing to lose the penalty shoot out. Clarke got to 3 of their kicks but they squirmed through him. On a dry night I guess he would have got at least 2 of those. I actually felt sorry for their keeper Smith, being subbed just before the penalties but shrewd move from Sturrock in the end. Just to respond to adlibber above with his comments about Wilder - I'm guessing you weren't at the game? Shame since you would have seen an overall impressive performance and Tyrone Marsh benefited from Constable's absence. To the scummers on here - great banter lads but I know you lot cross your fingers every time there's a cup draw and pray you don't get us. I also know the relief you felt when getting promoted to League One because it meant you didn't have to play us twice in the league, and for the same reason I know you will be bricking it in case you don't get promoted and we do. So keep it coming lads, we remember it all. Sid Snakey
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree